Temporary Spare wheel and tyre

All Kia Niro related discussions
Emperor

Post by Emperor »

Not a fan of "the whipped cream puncture repair pack".
So I am back to considering carrying a temporary spare.
After a recent tour which gave excellent mpg despite being fully laden, I don't think a spare would make much difference to performance.
Has anyone installed / used a temporary spare? If so has its weight impacted on your overall performance?

Fred_Bristol

Post by Fred_Bristol »

Not being a fan of "whipped cream puncture repair packs" (brilliant description) which are as much use as chocolate tea pots for many punctures, I too prefer a spare, even if it is a skinny. I've been told that even if the puncture is sealed the tyre is a write off because it takes a long time to clean up and they can't plug the puncture reliably. But my preference for a PHEV means no space to store one under the boot floor. Can't see a Landrover style bonnet or back door mounting bracket going down very well!
Fred
Steve

Post by Steve »

If you go to a good car breakers , and see if they have a right off Kia Soul , Ceed as i was told there spear wheel and tools are the same as the Niro and will be about £45 . Worth thinking about .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi. Skinny spare wheels are about for Niro, some discussion about sizes as to rolling circumference compared to original fits. Skinny from around £130 1 believe including accessories (not Kia, as yet unavailable ), full size is available from dealer but a lot more and of course tyre is extra. ( Is the Kia Soul the same standard rim and tyre, if so nobody has mentioned this!
Both options fit below floor of boot ok but with some loss of storage space, accessory trays, depending on size of spare wheel you go for.
h2onorth
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

A 205 60 R16 tyre has a diameter of 25.7" and revolves at 809 revs per mile

A 125 80 R16 space saver has a dia of 23.9" and revolves at 871 revs per mile

A 135 90 R16 space saver has a dia of 25.6" and revolve at 813 revs per mile which is quite close to the standard road wheel tyre.

I have bought a space saver with a 135 90 R16 tyre which fits into the wheel well perfectly. You have to sacrifice the lower tool tray but the upper tray fits OK. (If you buy a full size spare wheel you lose the upper tray as well).

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/kia-niro ... brace.html

The jack fits nicely in the rear compartment of the upper tray housing as can be seen in this picture. The deep well in the spare wheel will hold other bits and pieces

The screw that holds the lower tray in place can be used to retain the spare wheel – but in my car the end of the screw bottomed in the socket before making contact with the wheel. You need to cut 10 mm off the screw or make a 10mm thick spacer. I chose the latter.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Johnrussell

Post by Johnrussell »

I've been searching for a space saver,sand am confused. What is the correct one to buy for a 2017 Niro 2. On various quotes I have been quoted for different size etc.
Suman

Post by Suman »

I've just bought a full size spare wheel and tyre today and it fills the underfloor area completely. But I think it's a small price to pay for peace of mind since I recently had a bolt go through my tyre on a Sunday almost 100 miles from home and I was very lucky to find an open tyre fitter who could repair it. If I had joined the motorway and the tyre gave way completely, I would have been potentially stranded.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Steve

Post by Steve »

You do have RAC membership with the car .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

I would NOT be changing a tyre on the motorway.
Suman

Post by Suman »

I didn't get RAC membership as I didn't buy the car new. I got it as a demonstrator so it was technically second hand.

Even with breakdown membership, they would generally take me to the nearest garage but on a Sunday they would likely be closed and thus I would not be able to get home. At least with a spare wheel, even if I got breakdown service I could have them help change the tyre for me.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post