OEM Tyres

All Kia Niro related discussions
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Guy's, I am hoping to get a Niro soon and need some feedback regarding the OEM tyres. I have watched a YouTube video where the reviewer state that the "front tyres lose grip on damp roads". Can I ask you experienced Niro owners if this is true, or is it the usual car review tosh? The guy also states the steering is too light and lacks road feedback, which I think is also tosh. Most reviewers only have access to the car for a couple of hours and seem to compare everything to sports hatchbacks and the like.

David
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

deguy

Post by deguy »

I've not found this. Which model are you thinking of getting, as some come with 16"and some with 18"rims, which obviously has implications for the tyres?
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Hi deguy,
We are thinking of a First Edition which I believe is fitted with 225/45R 18 Michelin Sport Pilot 4 tyres.
Thank you for your positive response.
David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
Splang

Post by Splang »

I have the 16” wheels with Michelin energy tyres. I have found the handling to be fine. Suspension is slightly on the firm side.
You can push on if you want
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

If you read tyre reviews on the web you will find that the Michelin Energy tyres which are designed for economy - are not as grippy in the wet as some other tyres.

When my tyres need changing I will be using Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres which have much better wet grip performance at the expense of a very small loss in fuel economy. However - my main reason for doing so - is that they produce less cabin noise. I have significant hearing loss and for me it is a priority. Other wise I can't hear my wife emulating Mrs Bucket (Patricia Rutledge) giving me instructions
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

My car is fitted with the Michelin Energy Savers; I've not found loss of grip to be a particular problem. The Niro isn't a sports car and I don't drive it as such, but nor do I spare the horses. I would come lower road noise and will be trying to get Goodyear efficient grip tyres fitted if possible when the current boots are ready for replacement if they really do benefit road noise. I had them in my Yeti previously and they were good, although with a Diesel engine the road noise was sort of a secondary issue!
deguy

Post by deguy »

Old Salt wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:02 pm We are thinking of a First Edition which I believe is fitted with 225/45R 18 Michelin Sport Pilot 4 tyres.
Yes, this is the tyre I have on my car too.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Thank you everyone for your responses, I think the consensus is to keep the original fit tyres. The screaming voice from the passenger seat will tell me if adhesion is not to her liking!!

David

knea

Post by knea »

I own a Niro FE with the Michelin Sport Pilot 4 too and, based on my experience Spring-to-date, they have been great in all the conditions. I would definitely keep them
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Out if curiosity, I tried out on damp roads today the grip. From standstill - no wheelspin. On corners - no apparent loss of grip at moderate speed - not dangerously fast but not timid cornering either. The only circumstance that I got the tyres to lose traction was under emergency braking from about 50mph in a straight line - and even then I felt that the car still pulled up sharply with the ABS doing its job.

I'm not about to try fast cornering and hard braking to test how the car behaves under those conditions!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post