Connected services with BT Wifi and no smartphone

All Kia Niro related discussions
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Sorry to disappoint, but what you say is most definitely not the case.
My Niro 4 has exactly that facility built in.
It can pick up any of the 6 million BT hotspots around the country.
My 'BT Smart Hub' and 'BT Wifi-Fon' are both automatically displayed in the car.
Loosing the signal from one hotspot to another should not be a problem.
So far there has been a signal at every village, supermarket or built up area I've been to.
Living in the countryside, there are many roads where there is no mobile signal for miles.
So my WiFi may drop out more that most but as long as it reconnects, what's' the difference?

Suman

Post by Suman »

*smiles* I'm certainly not disappointed, merely surprised that it works so well even with a FON hotspot.

I don't use the connected services in any case since I prefer to use Android Auto in my car, but for those that do, during periods that WiFi drops out, they would potentially lose access to live traffic updates and speed camera alerts. I'm curious to know what you use the connected services for.

EDIT: I have BT WiFi and FON at home too, so out of curiosity, I connected my Kia to BT WiFi with FON. The car said it connected successfully, but I could never get any of the connected services to actually work. Every time I tried to access the weather, Live POIs or traffic, I got this message:

20180114_214408.jpg

If it works for you on your '4' then that's awesome, but my poor First Edition doesn't work for me :(
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

KIa Niro does have the facility to connect to BT WiFi built in.
WiFi list in the car shows - my BT Smart Hub and BT WiFi-fon.
When enabled car connects to all WiFi hotspots.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

To connect car to BT WiFi-fon.
Disable both BT Hub and BT WiFi-FON shown in the WiFi list, scroll to bottom of page and select 'Add new WiFi.
Enter your Hub name and password - also select the Security tab that comes up.
Then POI etc. all works.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Sorry guys, you are all correct. - only works in my village.
Although BT WiFi-Fon is permanently connected it cannot find hotspots away from home without a phone.
Wasted effort on my part unless someone knows of an alternative to a phone that can search for hotspots. - unlikely !!!
niroal

Post by niroal »

I have a Huawei Cigarette lighter mobile wifi. Unfortunately it has gone up in price since I got mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Unlocke ... B00PICUNRA

I also have a three data sim that if you register you get free 200mb a month. Mine uses less than 100mb / month with the connected services on when ever I am in the car & I do about 1750 miles a month. So once bought you technically get free connected services without the PITA of setting the phone up everytime you get in the car. Just a single press of the button whenever you start the engine.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
MerlinXL

Post by MerlinXL »

Connected services works with BTWifi-with-FON as personal hotspot and picks put more hotspots as you drive. I think you would need to stop outside the spot to collect the traffic and camera info. I can’t use outside my house as router is to far away but it picks up neighbours FON signal.