Connected services with BT Wifi and no smartphone

All Kia Niro related discussions
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

As I do not own a smartphone was disappointed to find that connected services need one connected to the USB port.
Not true if you have BT broadband.
Connecting my BT Smart hub provides all connected services (except voice control - which I will not miss) using BT Wifi.
Leaves USB port available for my CD collection.

Suman

Post by Suman »

You may find that your connected services disappear as soon as you drive out of range of the smart hub (ie. away from home).
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

To use connected services, you have to connect to the internet using a device. So far, you have connected at home using your BT WiFi whilst it is in range. Once on the move, you will go out of its range and lose your connection. So, you need a mobile device, either a smartphone, or a mifi dongle, either will need a data Sim.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

BT Wifi is everywhere and certainly not limited to mt local area.
Look at 'http://www.btwifi.com/find/' if you doubt it.
Coverage in my area does not seem much different to my o2 mobile phone coverage.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

5 million free hotspots in the UK
BT Wi-fi hotspots are free and unlimited for BT
Broadband customers. With the biggest wi-fi network
there's bound to be one near you. Pop your postcode
into our hotspot finder to find your nearest one.
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

Which is fine if you are stopped with range of a hotspot, but as driving by the time you have connected to a new hotspot you have driven out of and need to connect to another. I had to turn it off on my phone, as it used to just keep trying to connect to the next new hotspot and never actually connect to anything.
I also thought you needed the bt WiFi app to connect to the hotspots.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Wifi app loads automatically when connecting to BT Homehub.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

@ Hopp :. So you're able to drive around and enjoy connected services because the car's system is connecting to the different BT WiFi hotspots. Must try it with Sky!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Obviously strange to most but post is intended for like minded non smartphone owners.
Suman

Post by Suman »

Let us know how you get on away from home.

As a fairly technical person (mobile app developer) myself who has BT Wifi as well, I'd be surprised if you could get it to work in the car away from home, as the Kia Niro doesn't appear to have the facility to connect to BT Wifi from a non-home hotspot without first going through an Internet portal where you have to sign in with a username and password.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo