Satnav updates

All Kia Niro related discussions
RichS

Post by RichS »

Owners of other Kia models appear to have had a saga of problems with satnav updating.
Do the same issues apply to the Niro? (I'm still awaiting delivery of mine :cry: ) .
Must updates be done at the dealership or is there a USB stick/ SD card home-downloading option?
Are the updates free?
Is the mapping now TomTom, or is that just the live traffic reports?
How well does the system operate without any smartphone link?

Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Updates are done at dealership also Kia UK has set a cost of £25. Would suggest you make sure you have the latest updates installed before accepting the car.
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Only thing you don’t get on the satnav with the smartphone disconnected is the speed camera alert. So if you drive within the speed limits and are not too concerned as to the location of the cameras then the unit works perfectly well. With a wired smart phone connected you can also take advantage of Android Auto or Apple Car play, in the case of Android Auto you can take advantage of using Google Maps, wouldn’t recommend if you have an Apple phone using Apple Maps as they are so out of date. Remember both the Android and Apple uses data so be sure you have a good data plan. The inbuilt car unit uses TomTom mapping which is as good as any in most circumstances and with a smartphone connected has the addd advantage of the speed camera alert.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

Unless you are in France in which case you MUST not use the speed camera alert!
🚙
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

It is not illegal to have speed camera alerts in France. See link.
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answer ... nd-the-law
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

The maps are on an SD card, simple as swapping old for new.
Not sure if the £25 charge is for a new SD card or the dealer charge to fit them (one minute job) You can buy the SD cards on bay of e but are around £50.
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

Thanks Old Salt, I note the carefully crafted wording. Now that the French conceal speed cameras as all manor of things you would struggle to recognise some of them in daylight let alone in the rain and dark one has to be ever more vigilent. At least when they warn of a radar ahead they are not bluffing.

I try not to be in a hurry when in France, I do not know how I will cope though if the threat of a 80kph limit on country roads goes through. I can not see the locals sticking to it and I will get overtaken by speeding cyclists!
🚙
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Topicalcat, we drive down to Geneva quite a lot and tend not to rush. We usually overnight in the suburbs of Dijon. My last car a Volvo XC60 had speed indication on the Satnav, which it converted to the equivalent KPH. Very useful and saved a lot of mental converting. I have not done the journey in the Niro yet and will be curious to see if it does the convertion too?
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

The speed limit display on my Niro is not to be trusted. It is frequently out of date. For example a main road near me used to have a 50 mph limit - this was reduced to 40 mph almost 3 years ago when we moved house.

My car still shows 50 mph.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue