Looking to buy a Kia Niro 4

All Kia Niro related discussions
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Hi all, I am looking to get a new Kia Niro 4 for my wife. It ticks all the boxes, especially being a hybrid, better fuel economy, heated steering wheel (which I can't get on some pricier German models), Android Auto etc.

We haven't owned Kias before. Planning to schedule a test drive this week or next.

I just have a few questions at this point.

- Is the current model year 17 or 18. In which month do Kia start producing next model year cars? Any info on what new features to expect in the next model year?

- I am planning to with the #4 variant of Niro. With this spec, is it possible to downgrade to 16" wheels for better fuel economy and/or ride comfort? If it's possible, what are your views on doing this?

- What's the real world fuel consumption (MPG). In our case we'll be using it mostly for local journeys

- Anyone using the Android Auto functionality? Does it work well?

- I know its subjective, but what are your views on cabin noise? Is it a quiet, noisy (or in-between) car?

That's a lot of questions to start with, thank you in advance for your responses.
MY18 Niro 4, 16" Wheels, Rich Espresso!

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Welcome to forum kn4.
answers. in same order as your enquiry.
Initially the main difference 16/17 models was that the 17 models moved the 12 volt battery from the RH side of boot to be adjacent/integral with the hybrid battery. 18 model I have not seen close up so cannot comment.
Wheel mods ( 16 inch) have been done by some owners with consent of dealers before hand over but it is very much a negotiated rather than an option.
16 inch wheels/ tyres may be marginally quieter but as you know they get noisier as they wear anyway. The popular change is to go for new rims and michelin Cross Climates. Those that change say michelins are quieter than the Originals.
michelin Cross Climates. are also available in 18 inch now.
Depending on where you live winter tyres on steel rims would give more confidence than original fit 16 inch., if you feel the outlay is worth it.
MPG - this creates a lot of controversy ! some claim exceptionally good figures even in winter.
I am cautious on this but local short journeys, in winter ( freezing to plus 6 degrees UK) hits the mpg due to AC, if on, and heating plus of course slightly longer warm up times. I would say 50 + or - mpg uk
Summer figures much better and around 60 + or - depending on journeys. The longer the journey the more chance of EV mode even at 65 or 70mph
All these figures are effected by driver characterises, steady ones and push on drivers. If you push the excelerator hard the engine will always cut in to assist.
Android auto and iphone auto works quite well depending on model of phone. Android auto does not currently give you personalised ring tones but of course ID is. on screen. This system is being modified on going and will no doubt be improved.
The dislike is for FULL functions the phone needs to be plugged in on USB which some find irritating if in and out car frequently.
Noise is quite good particularly if coming from a diesel and if in EV mode. Car will always start in morning using engine initially (sorry)
Kia is not up to Audi, Merc. or BMW levels of noise suppression but is on the money when you consider price
Others may modify my views h2onorth
niroal

Post by niroal »

16” wheels are now officially available as an optional item & I think reduce price by £250. When I was looking however they were only available as a factory order & as the cars are built in Korea it adds a long time to an order.

My car came with 16” wheels & I have changed the supplied tyres for Michelin Cross Climates & I am very happy with them.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Thanks both. Scheduled a test drive for this Saturday. Let's see how it goes.
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Went for a test drive. Liked the car. Ordered a Niro 4 (Factory order) in Rich Espresso (Standard colour).

Anyone owns a Niro in this colour? Or has anyone got a link to some real world pictures of Niro in this colour?

Dealer says we have to wait 3 to 4 months for delivery. Is that your experience too with factory orders?

I am sure I'll have more questions, as I wait for the car to be built.

Thanks
btwatt

Post by btwatt »

Hi I ordered a Niro 3 in November and it is due for delivery first week in March, so 3-4 months seems to be about right for factory orders.
deguy

Post by deguy »

You're lucky - for a factory order placed in November 2016 I had to wait 6 months.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Thanks both. Will be waiting for the early summer then.

Is there a way to track the order online, like we could with some manufacturers? If not, I'll simply be calling the dealer once in a while to check on the order.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post