USB/media/phone

All Kia Niro related discussions
Brianh

Post by Brianh »

Hi, new forum member and new to the Niro. Couple of questions regarding USB in the car:

The car has 2 USB connectors, one under the dash and one in the centre console storage box. As far as I can see the one in the storage box is only for charging devices (phone etc) and is not connected to the media player so cannot be used for USB storage devices. Is that correct as the manual isn't clear and I can only see music files when plugged into the dash USB port? I guess that would be the same for Apple Carplay as well.

The manual has all sorts of warnings about leaving USB devices plugged in and starting the car with USB devices connected. My previous car used SD card as the media device and I left it in permanently with no problem. Am I safe in assuming that leaving a USB memory stick (SanDisk FIT 32GB - the tiny one) in the port permanently is OK? Does the USB stick draw any power when not being used?

Only had the car a few days so still getting used to all the technology in it - there's a lot more than my previous car and much seems to be geared towards using smart phones. I have an IPhone SE which is my work phone but as I am planning to retire later this year I will be looking to replace it. The SE does not support wireless charging and it seems that if I want that facility I will need to spend an awful lot of money on the latest IPhone and I think Android is the way I will go. I've had Android before and whilst I am a big fan of IPhone/IPad I'm not a big fan of Itunes. Can anyone recommend an Android phone that works well with the wireless charging and the car media system?

Thanks
Brian

Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Hi Brian, I leave my USB stick with music files plugged in all of the time, never had any problems due to power surges when starting the car. I don't think my Sandisk stick draws any power to be honest.
As for an Android phone, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ which has wireless changing. Great phone into the bargain. I use the Kia Hotspot app to connect to the phone to connect to the car, it works well. I did try Android Auto, but didn't like the toy town look on the screen.

David
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
Brianh

Post by Brianh »

Thanks for the quick response David.......ex RN myself but served on the grey ones not the black ones.
MerlinXL

Post by MerlinXL »

I have an iPhone 6S plus and purchased from Amazon a coil which fits between the phone and case to convert the phone to wireless charging. But the 6S plus model is a tight fit in the space above the wireless charging area so the coil was off centre and didn’t work. Amazon took it back. Would work on a SE though. Note It’s only a charger so can’t play iPhone music.
Once coil is fitted you would need a wireless charger in the home as well.
Doesn’t seem worth it.
niroal

Post by niroal »

I have an iPhone SE & would rarely use the wireless charging even if I had it as my phone is almost permanently connected to CarPlay. Without a wired phone connection there is no voice control (by far the safest way to use while driving) so to me the wireless charger is pretty pointless.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Brianh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 am Thanks for the quick response David.......ex RN myself but served on the grey ones not the black ones.
Ahoy Brian, I did serve on a few grey ships, 2 very temporary drafts to the sweeper Highburton and the Chichester. I also did 2.5 year on the Hermes 4th commission. I volunteered for submarine service to get off of the Hermes, but still had to endure the full commission.

David
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise