Brake release.

All Kia Niro related discussions
JOL54

Post by JOL54 »

Dont want to get boring, but sometimes the brakes seem slow to release when foot taken off the pedal - is it me?

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I suspect it's not that the brakes are slow to release (can't imagine how this could happen), but that you are experiencing delay in take-up by the electric motor. Sometimes, not always, and I can't pin it down to any specific sequence of events, the car hesitates before it sets off!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
niroal

Post by niroal »

If you mean the brake pedal rather than the parking brake, the car has hill hold assist. This holds the brakes for a couple of seconds after you release the brake pedal to stop rolling back.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
JOL54

Post by JOL54 »

Sorry, yes the brake pedal not parking. See if I get used to it!
PDub

Post by PDub »

Yes it is an unusual sensation, a bit worrying if pulling out into busy traffic - (I usually switch to Sport for this).
I've had hill-assist on previous cars but you had to make a decision to use it by pressing very hard on brake pedal to engage.

I wonder does the Niro always engage hill-assist when in full auto/eco mode?
niroal

Post by niroal »

It appears too. You need to press the footbrake though as if you just release the parking brake with it in drive it will roll back.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
JOL54

Post by JOL54 »

I assumed it always works but rolled back on a junction last w.end and gave me a fright - specially as a friend was following me!
Cleaned and polished it today -looks wow.
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Hill assist only lasts for 1 to 2 seconds before it disables, so if you haven’t pressed the throttle you will roll back.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I've had it too, on more than one occasion, where I've taken my foot off the footbrake and the car has immediately rolled backwards - not one or two seconds later, but straight away.

I suspect the HHA only works is the footbrake is pressed quite firmly; the last time I have the rolling back I'd been holding the car on the footbrake but wasn't needing to press firmly to do so.
NiNiro

Post by NiNiro »

I have had the same panic at junctions when the car does not respond as quick as desired. Often when coming to stop and if Power is required again very quickly it’s as if there is a delay in the car processing what you wish to do or perhaps a delay in selecting correct gear.
Doesn’t happen often but the frustration and panic is still felt.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post