Niro and snow

All Kia Niro related discussions
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Hi all, I am waiting for my Niro 4, ordered in early Feb.

Just curious how the Niro owners got on with driving in the cold and snowy conditions created recently by the Beast from the East 1 and 2.

I have plenty of experience driving in the snow with my current manual car and it handles without any issues even with non-winter tyres. As Niro is an automatic, I'm wondering if it had any difficulties handling these snowy/slippery conditions.

Any driving techniques, specific to Niro, that help with driving in snow?
MY18 Niro 4, 16" Wheels, Rich Espresso!

Suman

Post by Suman »

I've had no problems in my Niro during the recent snow. Even though it's an automatic, in regular Eco mode, there is a very gentle throttle mapping and so it's fairly easy to make progress. Also as a front wheel drive vehicle, it's generally much more stable than rear-wheel drive cars.

The only problems have been initial braking on untreated roads if you misjudge the extra braking distance you need.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Drove my Niro 4 in three inches of snow recently and didn't notive any difference from my other previously owned manual box cars. Like any sensible driver it is about taking it easy on the accelerator pedal and brake pedal to minimise the effect of the snow. On word of caution when it snows heavly the lane assist and automonous emergency braking sensor gets 'clogged' with snow failing the system. Warning lights are displayed on the dashboard to this effect and clear once the snow has been cleared off the sensor.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
kn4

Post by kn4 »

Thanks both. Where are the lane assist and automonous emergency braking sensors? Sorry, haven't got the car yet.
MY18 Niro 4, 16" Wheels, Rich Espresso!
Suman

Post by Suman »

Lane assist is a camera in the rear view mirror assembly. Assuming the autonomous emergency braking sensor is the same as the radar cruise sensor, it's a small plastic square in the lower grille. Like dmrodgers, I've had that sensor clog up twice in the snow as it picked up a film of ice, and made the warning lights come on, but thankfully the warning message was clear as to what had happened.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
gimball

Post by gimball »

I've almost rear ended someone in the snow when using the cruise control - the radar covered up with sleet and didn't register a car in front of me. It started speeding up and almost hit the car in front.
About 5 minutes later the car reported the radar is blocked and turned off all cruise control features until I cleaned it up.

Just be aware that this could happen and don't rely on the car to think for you in those conditions.
Pippy. Polo

Post by Pippy. Polo »

That's sounds very scary 😱 thanks for the heads up on that

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post