elec drive question

All Kia Niro related discussions
soooty

Post by soooty »

Hi. I test drove a niro 2. It was brand new just delivered to dealers. I didn't go far. Maybe a mile. I expected from standstill the car would gain speed in electric drive but it seemed to just use the petrol engine to pull away. dealer said because it needs a few miles to warm up. That sound right? I notice the battery seemed to be half full from what i understood from a brief look at the display.

oh and its probably been asked before, but if u are a UK driver please could you tell me your real world mpg so far (spec wether you have 2 model or 3,4 with bigger alloys)
thanks

exguitarman

Post by exguitarman »

Hi Maybe the car was in hybrid drive and not EV which would account for the petrol engine kicking in.
100 mile trip last Friday 59 miles to the gallon mixture of motorway and town.
Niro Phev 3 Graphite grey.
Suman

Post by Suman »

I have noticed that my Niro First Edition usually uses the petrol engine to pull away (rarely it will pull away in pure electric mode unless you just lift off the brake and let it pull away slowly by itself).

However once it is up to maybe 15 miles per hour, you can lift off the throttle and reapply gently to get into electric mode.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have the Niro 2 , just 12 months old now ... I had to go to Mid Wales few weeks back , 165 miles , and the clock told me when i got there , 79mpg ... My car will pull away from standing start in EV, as long as the battery is 90% charged , but if you push the throttle more than half way down the engine will kick in .
Also , the electric motor works with the petrol engine .. this is how they get the good MPG...... You will notice the battery indicator go down , even though its using the petrol engine.
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
deguy

Post by deguy »

In addition to that, I find it's very temperature-dependent. With the weather getting quite warm here now it is much more willing to start and stay in electric, whereas in cold weather it will immediately start in petrol and stay there at least until the engine is warm.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi soooty. Niro2 , assume you mean hybrid version not Phev. I have hybrid version purchased Jan 2017. Overnight or after long parked period car will usually start engine initially which is a pity if you just want to get out of
Garage to wash! Live in Northumberland , mileage now 8600. Mostly 10to 40 mile runs no traffic here, few longer trips of 100 plus. Very depends on air temperature and your heating settings as to when engine cuts in once car has settled into journey ,say after 8 miles or so. This has allowed the system to adjust battery charge and warm cabin if needed. The car will always be engine assisted if you wish to accelerate or overtake or move briskly or climb a hill regardless of battery charge. The moment you ease off accelerator engine will cut out, such as level road or down hill.
My mpg in winter from brim to brim is 48 to 49 winter and 54 to 55 summer. Occasionally on a few longer runs steady driving i have had close to 60 mpg. Trip computer will always show 2to 3 mpg better .
Overall am very satisfied with mpg , Other drivers say they get better mpg but it's very much a case of your driving Style.
h2onorth
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Question to all you PHEV owners. When you are driving in EV mode, does the car still change gears, and if so, why? An electric motor can spin as fast as it wants, Tesla's only have one gear.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
JOL54

Post by JOL54 »

PHEV owner. Yes it does change - motor drives through gearbox. I presume that it makes better use of lower rev torque and optimises
range?? My guess anyway!

Done 2800 miles in 2 1/2 months - love it. Generally showing 300+ mpg as work commute 28 miles so often no petrol used especially now it is warmer. Instant mainly 999 :-)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post