Belgium to UK trip in a Niro PHEV

All Kia Niro related discussions
Bliksembe

Post by Bliksembe »

We are proud newish Niro PHEV owners living in Belgium. I have been researching charging in UK for any future trips, and would like advice on the best charging options for an occasional visit to UK.

Here in Belgium we appear to be able to get away with no subscriptions and still pay a fair price for the charge - we have PlugSurfing (we use that all the time when not charging at home), Blue Corner and New Motion (the last two never used, but they are free cards so are there if needed). With those three we are basically covered country-wide.

If I understand the situation in UK correctly, there are MANY different charge point providers, none of which interact with each other (except sometimes Polar and CYC). Also, where we usually head for is Woking in Surrey, which seems to be rather a dead-spot for charge points.

We would appreciate suggestions, bearing in mind affordable charging (Polar Instant seems to be expensive) but no subscriptions due to infrequent visits.

pjm5755

Post by pjm5755 »

I too have a PHEV and I'm very pleased with it.

My suggestion is to load the POD Point app on your phone and it shows the charging points in the IK, with the ones I have been to are free. There is no registering, just load the app, and it shows the location, any tariff and if the charge point is being used.
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

You can use your newmotion card in the UK. Coverage not extensive, I use at my local farm shop which has a charging point I can use for free.

I got this card so I can use it abroad. Is the coverage in Belguim and France good with new motion?
🚙
Bliksembe

Post by Bliksembe »

Yes, New Motion seems to have good coverage in Belgium and France. I simply use PlugSurfing (a German company, I believe) as it appears to be cheaper for the non-NewMotion points and has very extensive coverage in Belgium and Germany, although it requires a one-off purchase of just under €10 for their pass. Their coverage in France seems less at the moment but they are expanding.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post