Android Auto and wireless charging

All Kia Niro related discussions
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

I understand that Android Auto display to the head unit now works wirelessly over Bluetooth with some cars meaning you don't have to use the USB cable to get the display up on the head unit and can charge your phone using the charging pad instead (on phones that support this).

Has anyone tried this, and if so, what model of phone? I need to replace my phone and am thinking about the Galaxy S8, but there's not much point of going for one with wireless charging if I have to still plug the USB cable in to use Android Auto.

deguy

Post by deguy »

Where did you hear that Android Auto works wirelessly? I have the S8 and I'm not aware that it can be used in that way, though maybe the limitation is on the head unit end. Actually I never planned on using AA anyway, but that was before I realised the navigation of Bluetooth media is near impossible and that the voice dual button on the steering wheel only works with AA.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

It's the next generation of head units, only a very few currently on the market, which allow Android Auto and Apple Carplay to connect wirelessly. Unfortunately no Kia head unit currently has this facility so you are still stuck with a wired connection if you wish to use Andriod auto irrespective of which smartphone you have.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
MiniEggs

Post by MiniEggs »

dmrodgers wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:38 am It's the next generation of head units, only a very few currently on the market, which allow Android Auto and Apple Carplay to connect wirelessly.
Do you have any more info on this ?

As far as I am aware the only OEM is BMW/Mini and I think Alpine have a third party unit
smileymiley

Post by smileymiley »

My works '18 Mercedes Benz van has wireless Apple Carplay but wired Android Auto... very strange!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around
MiniEggs

Post by MiniEggs »

smileymiley wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:25 pm My works '18 Mercedes Benz van has wireless Apple Carplay but wired Android Auto... very strange!
Wow which model of van ?

Can you post a pic of it working ?

I''m on the A Class forum too and they seem to be struggling to get Carplay let alone Wireless ..... I REALLY want wireless CarPlay ... but don't want a BMW :lol:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post