Thule Freeride bike carrier

All Kia Niro related discussions
Cathrine12

Post by Cathrine12 »

So I got roof bars for my Niro 2 through the local Kia garage, but to save money I thought I'd order the bike carrier myself from Amazon. Anyway, the Thule Freeride arrived this weekend, but we can't get it to fit the Kia roof bars. Wondering if I've accidentally bought a model that isn't compatible with the Kia roof bars, or if I need an adaptor/different mounting system?

Has anyone else fitted a Thule Freeride bike carrier to a Niro? What am I doing wrong?

As these roof bars don't appear to be T-track, we assumed it would need to be fitted using the clamps that go underneath the bars, but they're just not long enough.

Biggeege

Post by Biggeege »

I thought the kia ones were t track compatible if you remove the rubber insert.

the metal hoops that come with the bike carrier's are to make them for on the old thule square bars I think.

please update with how you get on as I'm looking to replace my Thule bars for my renault captur and get niro ones.
Cathrine12

Post by Cathrine12 »

Aha, you may have solved it. There is indeed a strip along the top and I was wondering if that could be removed to use the t-track system. I'll give it another go this weekend and let you know if it works.
Teem50

Post by Teem50 »

Cathrine12 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:17 pm There is indeed a strip along the top and I was wondering if that could be removed to use the t-track system. I'll give it another go this weekend and let you know if it works.
Normally what you have to do is to remove some of that strip and replace it with a bike carrier. It's a good idea to shove some of the strip into the groove on the outside of the carrier so as to block up the slot. If you don't then the bar will likely whistle like mad and drive you bonkers...

Tim
Cathrine12

Post by Cathrine12 »

So I rang the Kia garage and told them I was having issues fitting the Thule bike carrier and they said it was a common issue and there was a step missing in the instructions. They said to bring the car in and they'd fit it for free - very kind of them as I didn't actually buy the bike carrier from them.

They've removed some of the rubber strip on top and it looks like they've used the t-track system to fit it. So I can now carry bikes on my Niro, it remains to be seen how it will affect the MPG. But very pleased.

@Tim, yes, the Kia room rails came with rubber strip to fill the underside gap. I forgot to put these on the first week and the whistling was insane.