All about Connected Services - check these links.

All Kia Niro related discussions

jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Thanks Hopp,

Does anyone here use the Tom Tom Connected services? What's it like? Does it give accurate timings for traffic delays and automatic re-routing to avoid them?

I'm used to using google maps or waze, (my previous car had satnav but only traffic was via TMC which I found to be worse than useless). So when I got the Niro it seemed obvious to route them through android auto. However I'm getting a bit fed up with its behaviour in the Niro
a) the connection with the phone drops out from time to time, requiring me to unplug the usb cable for a second or two. Not very safe, so when the map disappears just when negotiating a complex set of interchanges it can be very annoying.
b) If using android auto, the other functions are not available. So I can't use it for google maps while listening to the DAB radio. If I have the map then then I have to get my music from spotify or one of the other android services.
c) on a number of occasions it has decided randomly that I can have the map but no traffic info or music because I don't have an internet connection. My phone disagrees - but the car knows best until some time later (perhaps 10-15 minutes) it connects, and then a minute or two later, tells me that my internet connection has been restored.

Also, I understand that voice commands for phone dialling is only available when using android auto, I do find that to be less distracting than scrolling through contact lists to make a call.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
iwantanirophev

Post by iwantanirophev »

Hi @jerrytaff

I sometimes use it and I have found it to be accurate on traffic but have not seen any speed camera warnings yet. The routes seem to be fast (bit slow to calculate but it's a case of 5 seconds rather than instant). It is not as functional as Waze where you can find a choice of routes but it seems to work. Traffic is shown on th screen and ETA is pretty good.

However, I am very used to Waze so just use that.

a) Please check your cable. The only time mine drops out is when I use a dodgy cable. Please use a new cable and see if this works. Also, check your phone is not on power saving/battery saving mode as this can affect android auto. If none of those work contact your dealer; may need an update or to check if the unit is faulty but it's a bad cable most the time.
b) I regularly use waze and have DAB on so I think your settings may be messed up somewhere. Maybe factory reset the unit from the settings menu and see if this fixes it. Also check your settings in android auto on your phone.
c) Is this for Android auto or the TomTom services? Again check your phone is not on battery saver
Kia Niro PHEV 68 Plate
knea

Post by knea »

Re TomTom Connectd Services: yes I do, regularly. Very good service. The update frequency is high and info&rerouting reliable.

Re "sing android auto, the other functions are not available."): bit confused here. I don't have such a problem, it seems a matter of settings somewhere?
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl
knea

Post by knea »

iwantanirophev wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 am have not seen any speed camera warnings yet.

Camera Icon not available at all or actual alerts not showing up?
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

Android Auto (AA) works really well for me. I use Spotify, Google Navigation and Tune In. I don't have any problems listening to DAB at the same time as using AA. I press the "Radio" button on the head unit, select a station and then go back to AA.

As @iwantairophev states above, the USB cable could be the source of your reliability issue, or it might be the connector on the phone itself. My old phone was a bit loose and I also had a very (deliberately) short USB cable which bent quite tight in the space in front of the drive selector and damaged it. I have a longer, loosely coiled up one now and it's spot on.

I recommend setting AA to turn off WiFi automatically when it starts and also make sure AA doesn't auto-start when Bluetooth connects to the phone.

AA only starts (for safety reasons) if the car is in "park" (and I think you have to have the parking brake engaged too). Any other mode and it won't recognise it. This is you stop you plugging in while driving.

In an ideal world Kia would supply the new style head unit that supports AA wirelessly so you could just place your phone on the charging mat and start AA with Bluetooth. No damaged cables. No damaged connectors. One day...
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

I meant to add, the reason I set AA to turn off WiFi on my phone when in use is that otherwise my phone often sees hotspots it knows about and connects to them while passing, then disconnects within a second or two as I move out of range. This plays havoc with network connectivity so it's best to leave the mobile network to do it's job instead of allowing the phone to switch between mobile data and WiFi when it thinks it should.
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

How confusing. The problem seems similar to one reported elsewhere on this forum regarding the equivalent Iphone app. the solution reported there was to disconnect the cable and reconnect. The same works for me - while in Drive! So much for Android Auto only connecting in Park. Not in my car! It does not matter which end of the cable I disconnect and reconnect. Both ends are tight, the phone continues charging when it disconnects Android auto. waggling the cable has no effect. So i don't think its the cable but i will try swapping with another.

Is it possible to reset the media system while retaining the driving fuel economy history ? i'd be reluctant to lose that info on the off chance hat it clears the problem.

When i connect to Android Auto it automatically stops playing the radio and resumes playing my Spotify media. If I select the radio it switches to the inbuilt satnav. I cannot get it to display google maps while playing the radio. I wonder if i have the latest firmware/software. Can anyone point me to the latest versions for the PHEV?

The problem (c)having no connectivity reported is on Android auto. i'm now beginning to think that's a problem with the phone (one plus x).

I used the The Tom Tom connected services earlier today and they worked well. it reported the speed cameras in Oxfordshire with symbols on the map and a chime a couple of seconds before passing the camera.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

Is the Speed cameras installed already or is it a paid for item ,I have not found them yet?
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
knea

Post by knea »

radar2018 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 pm Is the Speed cameras installed already or is it a paid for item ,I have not found them yet?
Speed cameras are included but they are not exactly installed.
There is a one-off activation: first connect your car to internet via your phone, then activate the service in the satnav settings.
From that moment, the alerts will show up automatically provided that the car is connected