Steering wheel squeaking when heated

All Kia Niro related discussions
knea

Post by knea »

Hello,
Has anyone else noticed the steering wheel squeaking a bit when heated?
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl

niroal

Post by niroal »

No not noticed
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Not noticed it and have used my heated steering wheel quite a bit earlier this year and in the past two weeks in the mornings. Suggest you have the dealer check it out under warrenty.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
deguy

Post by deguy »

Erm, no, and I've used it plenty this week. I am, however, intrigued as to what would cause it squeak! Are you sure you don't have mice behind the dashboard?
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
knea

Post by knea »

@Deguy Pretty sure, unless somebody has trained them to squeak only when I turn the steering wheel :)

update: I have made a few tests and it's gone - apparently.
It 's happened for 3 days in a row in the morning, with ext temp around 3-4° and with steering wheel heating on for a bit. It then disappeared after turning the heating off and therefore with the temp of the steering wheel decreasing. It wasn't loud at all.
Today, with the same conditions, nothing. Nothing also during the weekend, when temp was higher.

I don't remember anything like that last winter and I remember a similar squeaking from the steering wheel only in one other occasion since I got the Niro, but unfortunately I can't remember in what circumstances.
TBH, I barely used the steering wheel heating in the past, so I suspect it may have something to do with some sort of occasional, almost one-off response of the materials to the fast change of temperature
Kia Niro HEV First Edition, 2017, White Pearl