Knocking from engine bay

All Kia Niro related discussions
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

HI, I am experiencing a noise that can only be described like a hydraulic knock from the engine bay. It is most prominent at lower rpm & wasn't

present when new (November 29th 2018) It is a Niro 2 & covered 1200 miles.

Anyone else have experience of a similar thing?

Just want to make sure I don't have a problem & would appreciate any feedback.

Apart from this the car is excellent in every respect, & I am genuinely pleased!

Cheers Rob

jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Hi Rob,
I saw your earlier posts but I didn't reply, because I haven't any knowledge of any similar problems. However as you have re-posted you are clearly quite concerned.

The only hydraulic issue I am aware of is the recall that some cars have had concerning a leaky clutch master cylinder. That is a safety recall due to the risk of fire. I suppose though that if you have a leak, resulting in low fluid level, it could result in noisy operaton. I'd have a check under the bonnet for any obvious signs of leakage. I'd also try driving in "sport" mode with manual control of the gear, to see if the noise correlates in any way with gear changes.

Otherwise I can't suggest anything, and from the deafening silence on the forum, it would appear that your problem must be fairly unique. If you can't trace the problem to the clutch, I suggest you take it in to your local dealership, possibly take it for a drive with one of their mechanics to demonstrate the noise, and see what they make of it.

Good luck
Jeremy
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

Thanks Jeremy, I'll do just that & let you know the outcome. Rob
Rob Young

Post by Rob Young »

Hi Jeremy,
I took my car to a local dealer on Feb 6th.
The technician was really good, drove the car whilst I was the passenger & said the transition from EV to engine was normal!
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Jeremy, saw your earlier post about this and assumed your first action would be to demonstrate this to dealer.
From what you say you were unable to replicate the noise to the technician.
Does the noise only occur when cold or at other times. You are correct in assuming it has not been asked about before. You mentioned that it was heard at low revs, is that before engine kicks in or after or is it intermittent.
Can you record the sound or is it more of a vibration you can feel.
h2onorth

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post