Niro hybrid electric range

All Kia Niro related discussions
Simber76

Post by Simber76 »

Hi

I’m currently being offered a hybrid Niro as a company car.
I currently have a diesel and have a great mph and am paid 38p a mile.
I’m just interested to know what mileage the hybrid (non plugin) can achieve on electric only I’ve seen it as low as 2miles. Is this correct?

Organum

Post by Organum »

I only have the PHEV version but do have a HEV Mercedes.
My experience is that range can never be guaranteed for the obvious reason that the engine is the only method of charge which works fine on a trip but if using for local not so good.
I use my PHEV Kia and it works a treat for local EV only driving. The engine is hardly used at all.
Will some kind Niro 4 owner explain how it works?
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

I have been running my Niro 4 Hybrid Self-charging EV for almost 2 and 1/2 years now and I am delighted with it in every way. I am retired so not a commuter or out on long distance business driving. I use it locally in York and sometimes out into the countryside in the North Yorkshire Hills.

At present my on-screen display is showing 43.5 mpg about halfway through a tankful of petrol. Individual return trips into the countryside have showed up as up to 65 mpg depending on terrain.

But the time of year also has a considerable effect on economy as when you are using heated seats, steering wheel, space heater and or window de-mist, this uses the petrol engine and lowers the overall mpg compared with Spring/Summer/Autumn consumption.

There is no 'electric range' on the Self-charging Hybrid as the concept is that the electric motor is simply a 'support' to the petrol engine. They do not see it as a xx miles electric before the petrol engine cuts in. The onboard computer decides and determines when the driving is stressful to the engine and therefore needs petrol or when it is being driven less stressfuly and therefore the electric motor takes the lead.

By and large, though it doesn't really work like this, yuou can drive electric up to about 35mph. then the petrol engine takes over seamlessly. But if you put your toe down to get away from the traffic lights or a halt, the electric will give way to petrol. On the other hand I have been cruising along at 45 or 50mph and just noticed that I am driving petrol-free because the EV light was on !

I have stopped trying to work out how the computer works or thinks. Just sit back and enjoy the ride !

In September my Niro 4 will be ready for change after a three year lease. I will probably just opt for another of the same, in a different colour, as I don't want a fully electric Niro and I don't need to pay the extra cost for the Plug-in Niro as I am not a business user with a P11d to complete !

Happy driving !
Akula

Post by Akula »

Simber76 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:10 pm Hi

I’m currently being offered a hybrid Niro as a company car.
I currently have a diesel and have a great mph and am paid 38p a mile.
I’m just interested to know what mileage the hybrid (non plugin) can achieve on electric only I’ve seen it as low as 2miles. Is this correct?

Only the Plug in or e-Niro can achieve electric only range.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post