Colour Options - Niro HEV 4.

All Kia Niro related discussions
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

I have just spent an interesting fifteen minutes banging my head against a brick wall trying to get an answer out of KIA UK Customer Service. In the end the charming and very polite young lady was just going round and round in circles of corporate speak. She kept repeating that she didn't have an answer to my question, she would feed my comments through to the 'design team' but they would not respond to her or to me and I would be better feeding my query through my local KIA dealer.

My question was this. As I have had a KIA HEV Niro 4 for almost three years in the metallic Blue, I have almost decided to replace it with same model in September but I would like to have it in the metallic 'Temptation Red' as shown on their website pages. But when I go to the colour options under ' build your Niro' I see that I can have the metallic red in level 3 - but not level 4 ! Why not I asked ?

Why is it that the top of the range spec, with all the bells and whistles, cannot be supplied in the best colour on the range but with a much reduced pallette of rather boring colours except for the metallic blue that I have already had for three years ? I feel like a change if only in coloir !

She agreed and she could not give me any answer. Nor could (would) she connect me with the Marketing or Design departments who, presumably, make these decisions. It was simply a bloc k end !

It looks like, in order to get the metallic red, I may have to forego some of the 'bells and whistles' of level 4 and go to level 3 which includes (as I read it) losing smart key entry, Cruise Control and the sun roof. Or am I wrong ?

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

When I bought my First Edition (equivalent to a 4) two years ago, I wanted it in red. The dealer said it was not available, and there was no scope for special orders. He surmised that Kia must think the more discerning driver who buys top of the range wouldn't want red! So, suitably chastened, I opted for the pearlescent white, which is really beautiful in the sunshine, and shows off the chrome etc nicely. My previous car was a Focus Titanium X in non-metallic red so Ford are obviously not as snobby!
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

The 3 has the adaptive cruise control as standard.

You can't get the sun roof or the smart key entry. While convenient, smart keys are not smart enough, and comprise a security risk, and I have now got used to using an old fashioned key and fob.

You lose the bi-xenon headlights, which you might miss - many owners don't consider the halogen projection headlights to be particularly effective.
You also lose the heated rear seats, the memory function and the drivers seat, the ventilated front seats (at least you retain the heating function), and the blind spot indicator.

I think that is all the differences (except for the paint options) covered.

Unfortunately none of these seem to be options for the 3.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

I've written to KIA UK Corporate, through my local dealer's Sales Manager, so let's see what they say ?

Meanwhile, I've been doing some trawling around the 'net.

In the US I could buy their top of the HEV line Niro Touring in Runway Red - no problem ! This equates to the HEV 4 in the UK.

In Germany I can also buy the Niro Spirit HEV which is their top spec and equates with the UK 4 - also available in Runway Red.

In Holland I can do the same !

In Ireland, curiously, KIA Ireland do not even offer the self-charging model at all ! They only do the PHEV version so nothing to compare with there. Pity, as that would have been the easiest comparison being right hand drive.

So why this curious blind spot that means that the top spec. HEV is only available in boring colours except the metallic blue which I already have had for almost three years ? Has anybody ever seen the Espresso metallic colour option ? What does it look like ? Good or awful ?
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

>>>>Has anybody ever seen the Espresso metallic colour option ? What does it look like ? Good or awful ?<<<<<
Well let us put it this way "the mud will not show up"
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

I nearly bought the Espresso metallic; I saw one at the showroom, and it looked quite good to me, but it all comes down to personal taste.

My PHEV in gravity blue looks good in the sun when clean. But boy does it show up the dirt at this time of year; and in many lighting conditions, most people would think it's black. Also, the paint seems very thin and soft, I had to pull in on a single track road, brushed the side of the car against some foliage at less than 1mph, and its left some scratches that won't polish out. Are all the Kia paints so fragile?
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

I liked the Espresso metallic on the samples card, then saw one on the way out of the showroom that was standing outside, and changed my mind.

Yes the Gravity Blue does show the dirt
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
niroal

Post by niroal »

jerrytaff wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:04 pm I nearly bought the Espresso metallic; I saw one at the showroom, and it looked quite good to me, but it all comes down to personal taste.

My PHEV in gravity blue looks good in the sun when clean. But boy does it show up the dirt at this time of year; and in many lighting conditions, most people would think it's black. Also, the paint seems very thin and soft, I had to pull in on a single track road, brushed the side of the car against some foliage at less than 1mph, and its left some scratches that won't polish out. Are all the Kia paints so fragile?
The grey picks up country lane marks quite easily too, but I have less stone chips than I had on my previous car, but perhaps that is the adaptive cruise that keeps me less aggressively positioned on motorways!

I thought it was only the 3 PHEV that has standard adaptive cruise, the 3 HEV it is optional
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

I thought it was only the 3 PHEV that has standard adaptive cruise, the 3 HEV it is optional
You are absolutely right. I misread the spec sheet :oops: The latest specs and options lists - including those for the e-Niro can be found towards the end of this brochure:
https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/k ... e_brochure

(Hopefully the link works)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post