USB

All Kia Niro related discussions
John pell

Post by John pell »

The USB next to the 12v charging sockets seems to stay live when I turn the car off. Does it switch off after a set time or is it a continuous live.
Thanks
In advance John p
My19 Niro 3 Ocean Blue HEV

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi John Pell. I think it may go off once the drivers door is opened or possibly a few minutes later, but I have never timed it.
h2onorth
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

It does seems to be powered permanently. I hadn't noticed that. On the other cars I have had, the USB has only been powered when the ignition has been on.

The way the radio stays on after removing the key from the ignition, but turns off when when you open the driver's door seems a bit quirky too.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
eLTe

Post by eLTe »

jerrytaff wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:13 pm It does seems to be powered permanently. I hadn't noticed that. On the other cars I have had, the USB has only been powered when the ignition has been on.

The way the radio stays on after removing the key from the ignition, but turns off when when you open the driver's door seems a bit quirky too.
My Skoda Kodiaq does exactly the same (radio stays on til door open) and the 12v supplies (all 3 of them) are permanently live. Must be the norm these days!
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

Radio stays on while you sit in car listening to radio with ignition off while wife is shopping, to preserve battery
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
John pell

Post by John pell »

Hi all
Thanks for the replies
It is a shame as I would of liked to leave my iPod plugged in as it is only used in the car.
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

John, forgive me for asking but why does the USB power prevent you from leaving your iPod plugged in? At least you'd know it would be fully charged when you return to the car?
Radio stays on while you sit in car listening to radio with ignition off while wife is shopping, to preserve battery
The ignition switch normally has a separate position for that.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

>>>>>The ignition switch normally has a separate position for that.<<<<<<

It has but every 3 or 4 minutes it flashes up "Start Engine or battery will discharge"
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue
John pell

Post by John pell »

Jerrytaff
I thought it may discharge the battery as the car is only used at weekends.
However I now think it turns off after a few minutes.
I have left it plugged in at 100% charge, I will look tomorrow when I get home from work to see if the percentage has dropped and report back.
John pell

Post by John pell »

Hi all
Just checked and as thought percentage has dropped from 100% to 94% so it must turn off after a set time.