Clear White vs. White Pearl. What's the difference ?

All Kia Niro related discussions
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

Still trying to decide whether to change to a Niro HEV 3 with less features than my present Niro HEV 4 just because I can then get it in Runway Red. Or whether to just change to another Niro HEV 4, with all the bells and whistles I like, which isn't available in Runway Red but is available in Pearl White which sounds an attractive alternative to my present three year old Ocean Blue.

So anyone had experience of what the difference is between the two whites, Clear White and White Pearl ?

Any downside ?

niroal

Post by niroal »

I have heard metallic / pearlecent white is harder to colour match if you need a repair.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

White Pearl is £565 extra, not sure about Clear White, is that included in the standard price or is the paint extra. Tried 'build your own car' on the Kia UK website and on the Niro 4 Clear White is not showing as an option just the pearlescent white. My previous experience however with white pearl on a Sportage is the paint is soft and easily chips then touching up is a nightmare trying to get the paint to match using Kia touch up paint. Never had a panel resprayed but my son has a Pro Ceed GT which some idiot hit the front wing. Went into approved body shop who did and excellent job and was indistinguishable from new.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

My previous car (DS5) was pearlescent white. When clean,and in the sun, it was stunning. Far more classy than either a solid white, or a metallic finish. If the paint on the Niro is anything like the paint on the DS, then I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

A few years ago, I was told by someone in the trade, that these days, all the manufacturers use the same paint, the only differences being in how carefully the panels are prepared, how the painting process is controlled , and how many layers are applied. I'm not sure how true that is, but if so, Kia pearlescent white could well be the same as that on the DS.

The downsides of that colour are that being white, it shows the dirt very badly, (but possibly no worse than black or gravity blue) and repairs are expensive, as the paint is 3 layers; base, pearl and then lacquer; with it also being difficult to match the colours.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel