Do I have Lane Keep Assist or Lane Follow Assist

All Kia Niro related discussions
krisnixon

Post by krisnixon »

I got my '18 Niro 2 last night, I asked the (official Kia) dealer in advance what spec it had beyond the standard - specifically asking "For example, does it have Lane Follow Assist, forward collision avoidance, smart cruise control, etc".

His answer was "yours is the standard level 2, there's an option called ADAP, but not many have that"

Except driving it home last night, I turned on what I thought was the lane departure warning system, just to see how it works (coming from a '12 Rio, so I'm a bit behind modern car tech), and let it drift towards the edge of the lane, but the car corrected and steered me back within the lines. I then let it go a bit longer on a gentle curve, and it kept me in lane.

So I guess my question is... is that Lane Keep Assist or is that Lane Follow Assist? And what's the difference...

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The official title is LKAS, Lane Keeping Assist System. Within this is Lane Departure Warning System. I have never heard of Lane Follow Assist related to the Niro.
It seems you have your LKAS set to physically assist you insofar as the car is steering itself. There is 'standard' setting, that only operates when you are about to cross the lane line. There is also 'active' setting, that operates more frequently and before you approach the line. The active setting tries to keep you centred in the lane, while standard lets you be anywhere in the lane as long as you're inside the lines.
The Lane Departure Warning setting only warns you if you are approaching the line, but does not steer for you.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Apparently Lane Follow Assist is/will be available on the e-Niro. Haven't a clue what it actually is.......
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.