Tyre wear.

All Kia Niro related discussions
Rotarep

Post by Rotarep »

I have a Niro 3 and have done almost 21000 miles, I have just had to replace my 2 front tyres as they have worn through to the cloth on the inner shoulder of both tyres, now I can here you all saying it's the tracking but my wife's Niro 3 has the very same issue, same wear on both inner shoulders of the tyres. Although I've done 21000miles my wife's car has only completed around 15000miles but as I say is showing the same wear. Does anyone else have this issue, Being a trained mechanic I find it difficult to comprehend that 2 identical vehicles have exactly the same issue. We are both experienced drivers, I drive for a living so I am not hashy or an aggressive driver. Has anyone had an issue with tyre wear. Thanks in advance.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I've not had problems with my Niro, ( just changed front two evenly worn 18" Michelin's). But, I have had problems in the past when both outer edges wore quicker than the inside. I found out that the gauge on the footpump I was using significantly over-reported the pressure - they should have been 30psi, and were actually 22psi at the garage changing the tyres. Possible in your case?
You don't say that you have actually had the tracking checked?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. 17000 miles on myniro 2 even tyre wear
h2onorth
davethesteam

Post by davethesteam »

I hope I'll get more than that by at least a factor of 100%. Just trading in my Nissan Note 1,5dci on Mich - 46k miles from a set!!
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I got even wear and about 29k miles out of the front tyres on my Niro2.
Fields

Post by Fields »

Hmmm, if it's both you AND your wife and you have the same issue BUT there's a 6,000 mile difference, then I would guess that it could possibly have something to do with WHERE you're actually driving. Do you live on a new estate currently still being built up? Are there any particularly rough road surfaces where you both frequently drive?

I'm not sure exactly what it would take to wear the shoulders down to the cloth like that but it's just a thought.
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

Tending to agree with Fields; do you both go over speed bumps every day? Check this out: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66969/do-speed-humps-cause-tyre-damage-
ron in new mexico

Post by ron in new mexico »

A totally out of the blue guess ;)
I would still not discount tracking.
Well just suppose both cars were bought at the same place or in the same general area. How the cars were transported perhaps could affect alignment. If they both used the same mode or carrier, perhaps, due to some extraneous situation, say the tracks going onto the truck for transport were to small, crinching the tires together, and then affecting alignment , this could present even if they were bought at different times.
Or perhaps the dealer lot peoples are inclined to jam the cars into step barriers, when they put them on the lot. Always doing that.
So I would nevertheless have the dealer check it. If found out of align on one, then it probably is for both. New cars do present out of align at times. I had a brand new Subaru that was out of align significantly enough to burn through front tires in under 10,000 miles. . And that was a vehicle transported by truck for my purchase. In addition to normal transport to the original dealer.Typically that wear pattern indicates alignment.
Not saying it is that, and I am not a mechanic, but I would check that first. Once that is checked it can then be discounted. A mechanic will be able to tell you if they were out of align, before they begin the process of realignment. The wheel offset on most is I think .45. Mismatched wheels of course could cause that. Are they all exactly the same, they should be, size and type. Tire balance I would guess may have some influence as well. A high speed balance check my be called for. A very out of balance wheel and tire may be causing the use of to much weight to fit, and then possibly causing to much wear to one side of the tire. Or playing devils advocate could be the tire itself, if of poor manufacture. Unlikely that though with the dealer supplied tires. Balance as well is unlikely, It would commonly still present with a shudder or shake at high speed.
ron in new mexico

Post by ron in new mexico »

I worked here in the states once at a vehicle manufacturing plant for a little while. The security guards at that plant would use the cars as their resting spot between rounds, turning the cars electrics on,,usually the same car nearest their posts. to listen to music. I would expect any number of cars then presented with battery problems, when sold. Batteries may be jump started but often the battery if used continually in such fashion without recharge, will suffer damage.
Point is, we really never do know the conditions the vehicles were subject to in the first seven or so miles, we see them with, prior to purchase. Some totally unknown by the manufacturer or dealer.
MartinB UK

Post by MartinB UK »

I have a Niro 3 and have done almost 18000 miles; I have just had 2nd service and had to replace my 2 front tyres as they have worn through to the cloth on the inner shoulder of both tyres. I've had car from new, no bumps or rough road driving. Assume issue from new, not at all happy, and scarily similar to the original post so is it a generic issue? Martin, UK.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post