Rear brake discs

All Kia Niro related discussions
John pell

Post by John pell »

I have noticed that around the first 10mm of my rear discs does not to be making contact with the brake pads as it is always rusty even after I have driven it. The fronts are fine only on the backs both sides any ideas or should i take it to my kia dealer
My19 Niro 3 Ocean Blue HEV

ron in new mexico

Post by ron in new mexico »

I would take it in. I have noticed the break rotor surfaces being rusty after rain, and having it parked, but never noticed any difference between the front and rear. All is removed after the first drive. This would presume you are not using the parking brake when you have it stopped.. Parking brakes typically only operate a pair of brakes, typically the rear.
I guess it could be connected to the brake regeneration, but I would not take a chance. If it is under the warranty there should be no charge and hopefully they have a loaner to use..
Just my opinion I am no mechanic.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Just looked at mine, bright and shiny all the way across the width of the disc. I'm interpreting what you say to mean there is a 10mm wide ring of rust next to the outer edge? I can only think that you have the wrong size pads fitted, but this seems unbelievable. Back to dealer, let us know how you get on.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
John pell

Post by John pell »

Hi thanks for the reply yes alan you are correct the car has only done 1800 miles and was fine uptown about 2weeks ago. I will have to take it in and let you know the outcome.
John pell

Post by John pell »

I would take a pic and put it up but dont know how to lol
John pell

Post by John pell »

15668127753105755106544945657033.jpg

Think I have done a pic
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi John P.
Interesting picture. I have hybrid version and noticed this a while ago too. My band is a little narrower than yours. To be honest, since the brakes feel fine and the car has had 2services with pad checks with no comments I have not bothered to query it.
Be interested in replies from your dealership! h2onorth
John pell

Post by John pell »

Hi H20north
Took it to My dealer in Northampton yesterday and was told it's fine nothing of concern. So now if there is an issue in the future they cant say ( you should of reported it) As you say the brakes all work fine. I am travelling down to Cornwall and back in a couple of weeks perhaps that might sort it out as it does not do many miles at present.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post