Niro 4 Hybrid close to perfection - 3 minor dislikes.

All Kia Niro related discussions
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

First one is the red illumination across the dash when driving at night - would happily pay to get it changed to green.
Second one is that I regularly pass two laybys on the opposite side of the road.
Every time I pass them the satnav tells me to turn right and the immediately right again - satnav just updated.
Third one is that smartphone (dedicated to the car and kept in the centre glove box) needs to be switched on and off manually every time I get in or out of the car.
Detects when the engine starts and the USB connects but doesn't switch on.
Seems to me there should be a way of switching phone on and off with the engine - maybe there is a way that I don't know about.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

First one : subjective, I think the red is classy
Second one : when the Sat-Nav tells you to turn right, does the map show roads that presumably don't exist?
Third one: why do you have to switch the phone on and off, why not just leave it on all the time? You say "detects when.....but doesn't switch on" - how can "it" detect if it's off? Are you meaning the WiFi hotspot? Is so, there is a way to automatically switch on/off a WiFi hotspot on your day-to-day phone, you don't need a dedicated phone. Clarify what you mean, and I'll advise further.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Glad you like the red - just a different taste I guess.
Not sure if map shows laybys but they are physically there - each about 150/200 yds long.
Each time I pass satnav tells me to turn right and immediately right again.
Satnav doesn't see them when I pass them on their side of the road - very strange.
Do sometimes leave the phone on all the time.
Doesn't do any harm , just that the battery runs down a lot - sometimes car's left standing for several days.
I use Kia connected services with wifi is set to off.
It's a pay as you go phone dedicated 100% to the car - costs virtually nothing.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I'm not surprised the maps don't show lay-bys. Many roads on my trips have lay-bys and none of them show. What I can't understand is what you are seeing on the map when it's telling you to turn right. Is it showing and trying to send you down a road on the map that doesn't exist in reality?

Ref. the Kia connected services, you must have set the phone up as a WiFi hot-spot - yes? The point I was trying to make is that you don't need a dedicated phone with all the switch on/off hassles you seem to be experiencing. The is a clever app called Macrodroid that automates the WiFi hotspot on your main phone. Before we go any further, am I on the right track?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Chantbead

Post by Chantbead »

If you are talking about a Niro 4 2020 model and you don't like the red illumination across the dash, then why don't you change the colour to one the others that are available in the menu?
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

My Niro 4 Hybrid is a 2017 model.
If there is a menu letting the colour to be changed I'd love to know how to find it.
Thanks a lot,

I've never noticed the laybys on the map - I will double check next time I pass them.
I get verbal messages telling me to turn right (into the layby) and then immediately right (out of the layby) as I pass them on the opposite side of the road.
Chantbead

Post by Chantbead »

On 2020 hybrid 4 (not sure about previous model) to change the ambient lighting enter set up -vehicle settings - lights - ambient lighting, then you can change the colour and brightness.
Hope this helps.
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

Chantbead wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:46 pm If you are talking about a Niro 4 2020 model and you don't like the red illumination across the dash, then why don't you change the colour to one the others that are available in the menu?
I also have a 2020 Niro4 HEV.

Can you please tell me where I go in the menu to change the colour of the red illumination to other options ?

Thanks.

Pete.

P,S, Sorry - I just saw your post above and realise that you have already given this information !
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Passed the two laybys today.
They definatly do both show on the map / screen - can't imagine why.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post