Niro PHEV: 15000 mile view

All Kia Niro related discussions
AndyD

Post by AndyD »

I thought I'd share a few results and thoughts on my 2017 Niro PHEV, now having completed 15k miles in the car (16.3k total).

Economy: 113.25 mpg overall, measured brim to brim over 19 months of ownership. Slightly better in summer months, worse now heating being used. A mix of 30-40 mile journeys and 300 mile return trips, plus touring.
Driving style: typically 88% economic, 10% normal, 2% aggressive.
Charged predominantly at home using the 3-pin charger, only twice used std type 2 charge cable away from home. Left unused for 22 days with no loss of 'EV range'.
41.3 miles - furthest distance travelled on a single charge in EV mode (quiet country roads, gentle driving).
Features not used: phone charging pad, speed limiter.
Features that delight: smart cruise control, heated seats and steering wheel.
Annoyances: noisy brakes when creeping in traffic, weak gas strut on hatch in cold weather, those chimes.....
Pleasures: the quietness, seat comfort and smooth transmission - refined progress.

Overall I'm really pleased with the car (my first hybrid) and feel that I now understand how it works - well, mostly! ;)
UK PHEV in White Pearl.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Very interesting, and I concur with all your findings, apart from the speed limiter that I use all the time in urban driving. It would be interesting to know how your electricity bill has changed over the 19 months.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Unfortunately I've not checked the electricity bills too closely and don't have a smart meter, just know that it's a bit higher. Wish there was a way of measuring it directly....
UK PHEV in White Pearl.
Fred_Bristol

Post by Fred_Bristol »

There is a relatively simple way to measure the electricity your vehicle uses: Install a cheap second hand electricity meter (eBay) in the cable connected to your vehicle charging point. The downside is that if you don't have the knowledge and skills to DIY or Part P affects it, then electricians don't come cheap.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post