Trickle charging a Niro hybrid?

All Kia Niro related discussions
niro tyro

Post by niro tyro »

My Niro hybrid - not PHEV - will be in the garage for the next three months. Anybody figured out a way of trickle-charging the 12-volt battery?

Deleted User 1053

Post by Deleted User 1053 »

Let it stay on 50%.
Sid_Bonkers

Post by Sid_Bonkers »

Ive not used my car for a fortnight (self isolating) and the battery is still showing 50% :)

But if it should lose its charge the cars system should shut the battery down before it goes completely flat and you should then be able to restart it by pressing the "Reset 12v Battery" button.
BrianB

Post by BrianB »

I’ve trickle charged my flat Niro hybrid 12 volt battery overnight.
1. Where do I find the battery reset button?
2. Do any of the cars systems need resetting
Deleted User 1053

Post by Deleted User 1053 »

Hi,
if you have a battery reset button or not depends on you model year. In Niros with a battery reset button is the 12v-battery build-in the housing of the hv-battery, not accessible by you.
My Niro do not has this button, for reasons the battery has no power, I have a jump-starter-set.
The 12v-battery is loaded by the hv-battery during use of the Niro (running motor).
To keep some functions as burglar-alarm working, some power from the 12v-battery is needed also if the car is not used, over days this can flatten the 12v-battery.
To avoid this it is recommended to let the motor running for some minutes over some days, may be all three days ...
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

BrianB wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:00 am I’ve trickle charged my flat Niro hybrid 12 volt battery overnight.
1. Where do I find the battery reset button?
2. Do any of the cars systems need resetting
Presumably you have an early model Niro where the 12V battery is in the boot. Did you connect your charging leads direct to the battery, or did you use the charging terminal and earth point under the bonnet? I'm thinking of charging mine but am unsure as to the safe procedure.
1. There is no reset button on early models.
2. You should only have to reset things if the battery is disconnected.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Steve

Post by Steve »

If your going to charge the 12v battery thats in the boot ... DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FROM THE CAR FIRST .... Never put a 12v charger on a battery thats connected to the car ,or it could and probably would do some damage to the electrics .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
deguy

Post by deguy »

I've only been driving to the shops once a week for the last month or so, and on Wednesday the car wouldn't start. First it told me to use the key to push against the stop-start button. When I did that the system check started as normal, but then it said "Stop immediately! Check brakes". Leaving aside the fact I wasn't moving as I couldn't start the car, all I could do was switch off.

I noticed that the mirrors were going in and out slowly as I walked around the car, so I used a Powerbank Car Starter connected to the 12v battery terminals and then it was fine, so I went for a motorway drive to charge it up a bit. The hybrid battery was already normally charged in the 50-75% range when the car started. Of course that may be different for later models that don't have a 12v battery.

It was actually due for service and MOT on Friday anyway and the dealer confirmed this was normal behaviour if the 12v battery is low. Still think the error message could be better.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
prginocx

Post by prginocx »

Quote " Never put a 12v charger on a battery thats connected to the car ,or it could and probably would do some damage to the electrics ."

I don't know why this should be...Cars charge their own battery when they are running all the time, and battery voltage varies quite a bit. Putting a charger on, unless it is some old fashioned non-regulated charger, shouldn't do any harm. Any charger less than 15 years old has a good regulator on it, and won't push the battery voltage higher than 13.5v or so...There are no systems in any car that won't tolerate a little over voltage like that...when the car is running and charging the battery, you have way more overvoltage when you switch on systems that have large current draw, like headlights and such.

Now if you hook up a 48V / 36V / 24V charger on a 12V battery....that is a problem. Our world does require a baseline of intelligence. 24V chargers/batteries in boats are fairly common in USA, in fact most 24V chargers have built in protection to notify the idiot when they've tried to charge a 12V battery..

It is a good idea to be aware that many batteries, including some "sealed" ones, generate H2 when charging. Usually small amounts, and any ventilated area would be fine, but an FYI. :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post