Strap on Bike Rack

All Kia Niro related discussions
leelec

Post by leelec »

Has anyone fitted a bike rack to the back of the Niro Hybrid. Not the 'grab a towball' type but the strap on racks that simply hang from the back. I have the Niro 4 with the 'spoiler' (if that's what it is) at the top of the rear window and also the glass goes right to the edges at the left and right hand sides of the rear door. Both of these things might hamper the fitment of such a bike rack. Before I go along to Halfords and ask them to try and fit one prior to purchase I thought I'd seek assistance from the forum. Someone might have been through this before....Thanks.

MerlinXL

Post by MerlinXL »

Hi
Had Halfords strap-on bike rack which fitted my SEAT Altea XL and Kia Sportage just fine.
But no way will it fit my Niro PHEV, there is no real step between the bottom of the rear door and the back bumper to rest the rack on. Using the plastic covered hooks on the glass edge to the door looks fraught with danger.
As we are but 2 I’m in a position to remove the front wheels (of the bikes) and use the extended boot otherwise roof bars and bike clamps would appear to be favourite.
Sorry.
JayBee

Post by JayBee »

Good post and reply. I have a Halfords bike rack which fitted our old car no problem as there was a square bumper jutting out under the tailgate. I hadn't really thought about what would happen if I tried fitting it to our Niro!! A really useful post, thanks to you both. Anyone wanna buy a bike rack...? :)