Niro 4 reversing camera

All Kia Niro related discussions
Mick

Post by Mick »

On Monday night in high wind,a gate blew shut and cracked the lens on my reversing camera.
I have spoken to the dealership and they tell me that I can't buy the lens on it's own, I need to buy a complete unit costing £480 not including fitting.
This seems rather expensive when it is only the lens that is damaged.
Does anyone have any cheaper options?

Mick.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Presumably it's so badly cracked as to be useless. You might get a complete camera unit from a breaker, but it must be difficult to fit, how could you calibrate the blue/yellow guide lines etc.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Sympathies all round for that, I am afraid I might claim on the insurance for that amount!
Mick

Post by Mick »

Kia wanted £480 plus £60 for fitting.
I got the correct model from Ebay in South Korea (where Kia are built) for £163.24 +£21.35 import tax.
I fitted it myself in about 20 minutes and it works perfectly.
The coloured lines are there and are great.
Only problem was it took 5 weeks to arrive but worth it to save over £300.

Mick.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Very well done, an example to us all. Just proves that not all eBay products are scams!
h2onorth
EvieCuyler

Post by EvieCuyler »

Hello...Night picture quality about the same as my Niro. Crystal clear in daylight but poor at night under the street lamps, had a Sportage 2014 model before buying my Niro new one month ago. Sportage was much better at night than the Niro. Think we may just have to put up with this, not ideal but better than nothing.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

I wonder why the image is worse,surely Kia use the same unit for all their vehicles with rear cameras?
Could it be the difference in camera angle at the rear of the car?
I had my rear camera replaced under warranty (niro hybrid 2017) due water ingress and the image quality was the same as before. At night it's not great but useable. Just look at dash cam night vision! You have to pay top dollar for decent night vision and when it's raining as well , almost useless
h2onorth

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post