The (lack of) future of diesel

The place to discuss everything else..
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

So... my wife is changing job and is going to have to do some travel in her new role. This will require her to visit people's homes in a rural area.

Her current car, an ex-hire Zafira which we bought at exactly 1 year old with 10k miles on the clock for a shade over £9,000 has given us nigh on 70,000 miles of service without many issues (one new set of brake pads, one new clutch).

The combination of age of the current car, rural travel, recent weather and the desire to have something which can tow a smallish trailer has got us around to thinking about a newer car - specifically a 4x4 with relatively good road manners, creature comforts, space for two soon to be teenage children and not too horrendous fuel consumption.

Nearly all the vehicles I have seen which meet these criteria (Skoda Yeti, Ford Kuga, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai iX35) are diesel-fuelled, which appears to be about as fashionable as bell-bottoms and crimplene shirts.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insight into what might happen with diesel cars as government seeks to change the incentive / stick balance? For new vehicles, I can see they will be taxed out of existence - this is already happening to a large extent with company car tax rules. However, in the 2-3 year old range that our budget puts us at, is there a palpable risk or forced scrappage, hikes in diesel fuel tax or significant VED hikes in the next few years?

Thoughts welcome - I don't want to spend £12k+ to end up with a pup / headache!

niroal

Post by niroal »

If you don’t do many miles a day I would consider an EV like a Zoe & fit Cross Climate tyres. The only issue is you would need off road parking to get a charger grant.
The Cross Climate tyres have been fantastic in the recent snow. Remember a 4x4 will get you going, it is the tyres that help you stop!!!
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
niroal

Post by niroal »

Sorry missed the smallish trailer point, that puts full EVs out (to my knowledge only a Tesla Model X has an allowed tow weight). An Outlander PHEV will tow 1500kg if you can find one at a decent price. They are also 4x4 too.

If you can do most of your mileage within a 15 mile radius of home the fuel economy will be very very good, above that it will still be OK if you can plug in every night.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

It looks like an Outlander PHEV can be had for about £13k still with sensible mileage, down as low as about £8k if you are prepared to risk buying something with about 130,000 miles on the clock (I'm not, for that type of money!)

Will have a look at one but I suspect the wife's opinion will be that they're a bit too "agricultural" in their styling. Plus which, she prefers a manual gearbox.
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

A bit too big for me. That is cheap though. A face-lifted version is coming out soon which will serve to knock a few £ off the current version.
🚙
niroal

Post by niroal »

djbobbins wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm It looks like an Outlander PHEV can be had for about £13k still with sensible mileage, down as low as about £8k if you are prepared to risk buying something with about 130,000 miles on the clock (I'm not, for that type of money!)

Will have a look at one but I suspect the wife's opinion will be that they're a bit too "agricultural" in their styling. Plus which, she prefers a manual gearbox.
If you want to avoid diesel yet still have a 4x4 I think you may limit your choices. However When we were looking at a Yeti about 7 years ago there was a 1.8 petrol 4x4 model. Most petrols are 1.2 fwd. The 1.8 looks to run to 61 pre facelift. In 2014 they introduced a 1.4 150 ps 4x4 but on Autotrader they look to start at a 64 plate and are a minimum of £14k, all are L&K spec so not cheap
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I don't specifically want to avoid diesel, what I am wary about is buying a diesel now and then getting hammered on RFL or not being allowed to drive it to a whole host of places if government or metro mayors really start to push on the local NOx and PM issues. Up to now the iX35 is looking like a good bet - the wife and kids all like the fact that it comes with heated seats front and rear!
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

My last car was an IX35 1.7 diesel. I can certainly vouch for the heated seats in cold weather and I would not be replacing it except that I wrote it off. I might have bought another on but the tide has changed and hybrids are the way forward I feel.
🚙