Niro 2 PHEV?

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
Fred_Bristol

Post by Fred_Bristol »

Hi
Having run two cars, a Renault Zoe and a Skoda Yeti we are looking at a Kia Niro PHEV as a replacement for both. Will be following experiences here to get an impression of owning the Kia Niro hybrid. Most of our use will be electric on local journeys recharging from our solar at home. Just occasionally we do longer trips where charging is not available or unreliable. On cost its 200 mile + long range electric versus PHEV.

Fred

niroal

Post by niroal »

Hello fellow Zoe owner / Niro possible owner.

I'm not aware of any prices for the PHEV yet & personally I think the cost on other cars make PHEVs difficult to justify if you are not doing it for company car tax purposes.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Fred_Bristol

Post by Fred_Bristol »

Hi niroal
The cost of the PHEV will be compared with a long range battery electric and the cost of running two cars, one electric (local trips) and one petrol (longer trips. away from motorway charging points). One insurance and servicing cost vs two etc. At present a PHEV is looking cheaper than a long range electric. Time will tell.

Whatever we get will also have to accommodate my mobility scooter, hence the interest in the Niro.

Fred
Suman

Post by Suman »

I have a compact folding electric wheelchair - the Foldawheel PW-999UL and it fits just fine in the boot of the Niro. Further, the virtually flat load floor from the sill makes it easier to load than usual.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. Just following up the conversation about cost of phev versus EV. Niro phev is a while yet and I wonder whether the cost of an Extended type option !Ike BMWI3 might be a cheaper option than Phev for longer distances rather than huge battery. We will no doubt find out in fullness of time
h2onorth
Fred_Bristol

Post by Fred_Bristol »

I've carried out an analysis of the respective mileages of our electric and petrol cars and the electric mileage is more than twice that of petrol. And most of the electric mileage is short journeys where a petrol engine would not get warm. (Diesel even worse.) The use of a car for short trips is due to my disability and perhaps age.
My spreadsheet results assume that PHEV performance will be broadly similar to the Hyundai IONIQ Premium PHEV. If that's true then the extra cost of the PHEV over the HEV will be more than recovered in fuel savings alone over the intended life of the car. We charge from solar so we get paid for the electricity even when we use it.
Previous observations suggest that the short run fuel economy of a 1.6 L petrol engine is two to three times worse than the real world long run value starting from cold. I know Hyundai/Kia have gone to considerable lengths to reduce the warm up time of the engine and to keep it warm but I've yet to see any figures for very short run use. Journalist comments suggest the engine is quite quick to cut in on the HEV to maintain the battery charge between 40% and 75%. The electric only range appears to be about 2 miles with a light foot.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone consistently using an HEV for journeys of 2 miles or less. How much of the distance is covered in electric mode and what is the mpg reading for the trip?
(On our short Niro HEV test drive the engine was already warm and the salesman was trying to persuade us that as long as the needle was in the green section it was in electric mode. I might need hearing aids but my wife doesn't!)
Fred

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post