ANDROID AUTO™ AND APPLE CARPLAY™ FOR LATEST KIA MODELS

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Suman

Post by Suman »

Hi Djpfaff

The issue isn't so much google music not storing the music on my phone but sometimes not running under Android Auto. I like running it that way as it means I can pick my tracks using voice control rather than only playing predefined playlists or albums and skipping back and forth whilst driving.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo

gimball

Post by gimball »

Hi guys, reposting this here - trying to find out the version of the carplay update:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=244
Could anyone that got their car updated please send a photo of their Settings->System Info->Version Info please?

Need it to prove to my dealer that this update actually exists and that I'm not imagining it :?

And maybe also a photo of the icon being there on the dashboard...
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi gimball . The info you need is on Niro forum ( www.kiaownersclub.co.uk ) go to Niro section and find discussion Niro 2headunit software updates
h2onorth
gimball

Post by gimball »

Cool that helped a lot!

If anyone else is interested -> http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/ni ... 36004.html
Nocharge

Post by Nocharge »

Thanks suman....managed to find form and register last night.
Deleted User 440

Post by Deleted User 440 »

My Niro had the first service today after 15000 km. Navigation software was updated and now also includes Carplay. Works like a charm :-)

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

As I'm thinking of upgrading my phone, I wonder if anyone has positive user experience of Apple Carplay? I have got a Samsung Galaxy J5 at the moment, which runs Android Auto, but I have been so underwhelmed by Android Auto after the first couple of times of trying it that I haven't bothered since.

Is it worth me stretching the phone budget by a few £ per month to get an iPhone instead of an Android phone?
niroal

Post by niroal »

I was happy with it on a test drive (not an owner currently), but then I have all my music through Apple Music so I am very tied into the Apple stuff. Personally I didn’t use the Apple Maps as I was happy with Kia Nav & using the phone as a hotspot to get the live traffic. Apple CarPlay has Spotify if you subscribe to that for music. Beyond that and the ability to dictate messages & get them read out to you not sure what features you would want.
I am not an Android owner so I can’t comment on a comparison, but the interface for CarPlay is very clear so IMHO less distracting than a standard Bluetooth connection.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Splang

Post by Splang »

If you connect via CarPlay but use kia nav do you still get live traffic though? If you connect via WiFi you do
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Got Android Auto active since I got my car in June 2017 and initially swapped between the build in Satnav and Google Maps but within a few weeks I have completely swapped to Android Auto and have not returned since. Only very occasionally to double check the speed limit on an unfamiliar road. That is the main issue I have with Google Maps that it does not display the Speed Limit where I am driving. Also the Traffic Information is a lot better than any in-build Satnav with just radio data.
Other great option of Android Auto is that I now tell it to send my wife a text message, and I can dictate the messages on am on my way home from work, it even works with WhatsApp.
Recently started to play with Waze as well, but haven't got it to work properly yet, but it might have something to do with the power-saving of my phone, will need to do some further testing. Will let you know how I get on soon.
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post