Don't have and don't want a smartphone !

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Smartphones.
As far as I can see, the only features missing with no smartphone are speed camera alerts and weather forecasts.
I think I can live without them.
Can't bear the thought of starting from scratch with a smartphone.
I seem to have Wi-Fi and therefore points of interest.
Car is brilliant, could not be more pleased.

Hopp

Post by Hopp »

You can get mobile broadband units for almost nothing and they use very little data ?
What is a mobile broadband unit and how do you or would you use it ?
JimT

Post by JimT »

Mobile Wi-Fi units will plug into the data socket in the car and act as a permanent hotspot for the car to recieve data. Pcworld or carphone warehouse or any other mobile phone shop should be able to help.
They are sometimes called Mi-Fi or dongles. Sims with 500mb of data allowance per month should be ok.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Finally given in and bought a smartphone just for the car - Sony Experia for £99. from O2.
Fair bit of trouble setting it up to work with connected services but now working brilliantly.
Phone is in the central glove box, permanently connected to the USB charging point.
Turns itself off or goes to sleep when I leave the car and automatically turns itself on when the car is started.
Indicator at the top of the info display shows it's battery status.
Was showing red this morning as hadn't used the car for a few days but phone soon came to life as charge built up.
Presume letting the phones battery go flat now and again does no harm.
Not an any way interested in using the phone so will effectively just forget it's there.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

How much a month are you paying?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

just started with a £10 O2 payg sim, used about half in 3/4 weeks.
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

Take a look at the prices on Giffgaff which Piggybacks on the O2 network. Owned by O2 but a lot of the admin and techie stuff done by members. You can buy £5 or £7.50 or £10 monthly giga bags/ goody bags. I have used for some years for my ipad and entirely happy with the prices and service. You can also check your useage and upgrade or downgrade the next months purchase. Just used in France with no problems.
🚙
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I put a Three network 12GB data only SIM in my car last March and have used less than half of it.

It cost about £30 so works out at £3 per month which I am happy with

Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
cmr22

Post by cmr22 »

JimT wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:12 pm Mobile Wi-Fi units will plug into the data socket in the car and act as a permanent hotspot for the car to recieve data. Pcworld or carphone warehouse or any other mobile phone shop should be able to help.
They are sometimes called Mi-Fi or dongles. Sims with 500mb of data allowance per month should be ok.
If you plug one of these MiFi units into the USB port, does that not switch off Bluetooth, therefore preventing you from using the hands free phone?
Kia Niro 2 - Temptation Red