Audio system losing DAB radio

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Suman

Post by Suman »

Has anyone else found their Niro losing signal to DAB radio stations?

I found this getting significantly worse recently to the point where I couldn't access any DAB radio stations at all despite being in the suburbs of London where the signal is strong. Listening to a radio station and all of a sudden the car runs over a bump in the road and the radio cuts out for minutes at a time.

Retuning to other DAB radio stations also fails, but FM stations are fine.

I've considered the possibility of poor signal but it happens in my home area on streets where I've regularly had good signal, and now suddenly it's gone.

The car is being serviced tomorrow at 10,000 miles and I've asked the dealer to investigate this, but Sod's law says they won't find a fault at the time.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo

deguy

Post by deguy »

No problems here, fingers crossed.
Found this which suggests three different connections to roof antenna, so maybe one is loose:
www.kniro.net
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
CB Bob

Post by CB Bob »

I had the same issue. Mine went at about 1 month old.
Dealer checked it out, and the shark fin roof antenna was the problem.
I waited a month for dealer to have the part shipped in and have it installed.
Suman

Post by Suman »

Thanks, all - the dealer said they checked the connections and all looked good. When I got the car back the DAB radio functioned perfectly well again. Touch wood - the fiddling with the connections sorted the problem out.

They also updated the firmware of the head unit at my request so now it supports Apple Carplay as well as Android Auto.
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Suman

Post by Suman »

I spoke too soon. The DAB radio has gone again...
CB Bob

Post by CB Bob »

Suman wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 pm I spoke too soon. The DAB radio has gone again...

Any news?
Was the roof antenna the problem?
Suman

Post by Suman »

It's been intermittent but is back again. It seemed to be affected by the change in temperature. I still suspect a loose connection somewhere in the aerial but for now it's all good.
CB Bob

Post by CB Bob »

Good to hear it's still working for you.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I had a problem. Eventually found it to be a plug in USB adaptor, with 2 x USB outlets. It was OK until a phone was plugged in to be charged. Then the DAB started to cut out unless there was a huge signal. Changed to USB adaptor to another type and it seems to be OK since.
Suman

Post by Suman »

I noticed recently that the DAB signal cuts out when there are double decker buses or certain lorries nearby (next to my car) as I'm driving.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post