Groaning of parking brake

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
CRA

Post by CRA »

When it is raining and I drive into my garage, stop the car and apply the parking brake there is a very load groaning sound as I exit the car. I have enquired at the Kia dealership and was told this is normal?!?!
They said it is the parking brake rubbing against the wheel?!? and I should park the car, leave it in Park and not apply the emergency parking brake.

I have owned more than 8 cars and been driving for almost 60 years and have never heard anything like this. My previous car was a Toyota Camry Hybrid (9 years). Everything else about the car I like- especially sitting higher than an ordinary sedan.

Can anyone tell me if this noise is normal or should I go back to the dealer and been more assertive about this problem. Thanks

Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I'm guessing, after applying the parking brake, you get out of the car and the suspension eases and causes the rear wheels to slightly rotate. Try applying the parking brake a bit more firmly and see if you still get the same result? It could also mean the parking brake adjustment needs checking?
I had the same parking brake in a previous Santa Fe and Sorento and never had any issues..
David
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I would agree with Old Salt, the wheel disc is turning slightly against the pads that are not pressed tightly enough. Press the pedal a bit harder. I'm intrigued to know the relevance of raining and driving into your garage. Does it not do it when it's dry and you park outside your garage?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
CRA

Post by CRA »

No it seems to be a wet weather issue. Live in Vancouver Canada and we have just had the driest summer in over 50 years. It doesn't make the nouse if the wheels/pads/suspension are dry. Thx I will try putting the brakeon harder, but it's sunny again today!
CRA

Post by CRA »

Well that seems to be the answer. Raining hard all day and when I parked the car I pushed really hard on the parking brake. Not so much as a whimper when I got out. Only happens when it is raining and the brakes/suspension are soaking wet. But nice to know the answer was this simple. Thx for the replies.
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Glad to have offered some suggestions CRA.

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
niroal

Post by niroal »

When we get ours I’ll just have to remember the foot parking brake especially as our drive is quite steep.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi guys. I do not like this alternative to hand brake and avoid using it particularly at-home or in garage, just use the park gear option.
I am not sure if the parking brake uses the rear discs or has separate brake pads, but suspect its disc hence the noise.
My main complaint with this hideous foot device is you need to press so hard to hold the car on ANY slope that to release it again is a struggle, SO much harder than the handbrake option.
h2onorth
niroal

Post by niroal »

h2onorth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 am Hi guys. I do not like this alternative to hand brake and avoid using it particularly at-home or in garage, just use the park gear option.
I am not sure if the parking brake uses the rear discs or has separate brake pads, but suspect its disc hence the noise.
My main complaint with this hideous foot device is you need to press so hard to hold the car on ANY slope that to release it again is a struggle, SO much harder than the handbrake option.
h2onorth
Agreed, why did Kia do it? The Sportage has a normal handbrake....
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I have had the foot parking brake on 2 previous Korean cars and got used to them. Oddly the manual gearbox version had the normal handbrake. My issue with the Niro is getting used to the foot parking brake, my previous Sorento had electronic parking brake with auto release on pulling away. Leaving the parking brake on, when you pull away in the Niro is a sure fired way of starting the engine. 😕

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post