Fuel consumption

All Kia Niro related discussions
gimball

Post by gimball »

Topicalcat - after a year of owning the Niro I found it consumes on average 4.5 l/100 during summer (with AC always on) and 5.5 during winter (with no AC, just engine heating). My drives consist mostly of long highway rides (800+ Km at a time) or very short (<10 Km) city rides.

The AC in summer running on batteries was a blessing when stuck in traffic.

niroal

Post by niroal »

Topicalcat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm If you have the PHEV version can you switch on the heated seats and demist whilst still hooked up to the recharging station? If so you can pre warm the car and still set off with a full charge in the battery?
I think you can only put seat heaters on with the ignition on so I have not tried it while plugged in. Demist uses the engine as that is the only way to get heat so that can’t be done while plugged in.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
Knuttucks

Post by Knuttucks »

Suman wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:56 am It appears that, counterintuitively, you can use the A/C to heat/warm the car and it will run in EV mode more often than if the A/C is off.
The 'driver only' setting does seem to also make a big difference to EV running.

So on the regular hybrid at least, it would appear the best economy is achieved:

1. Running the heater off completely
2. Running in Driver only mode with A/C on
3. Running in Driver only mode with A/C off
4. Running in regular mode with A/C on
5. Running in regular mode with A/C off.
Running with A/C on being more economical than running with it off - this is really messing with my brain as I have always believed A/C will increase consumption...
Current: Kia Niro 4 in Ocean Blue
Previous: Citroen DS4, Hyundai i40 Premium Tourer,Ford Mondeo Econetic
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Hopefully the winter is on its way out, as during the 'cold' spells the fuel consumption dropped to about 45 mpg, but as soon as the temperature climbs to double figures it improves again to low to mid 50s mpg.
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

This thread (and several others) contains several references to "brimming" the fuel tank in order to accurately determine fuel consumption. However, on the Fuelly website, several people have written that this is not a sensible thing to do.

I quote:

a) "Modern cars - for the last 25 years or so have had a charcoal filled evaporation canister attached to the refueling system to capture fuel vapors and prevent them from escaping to the atmosphere. Yes - you can slowly keep pouring gas in after the pump has automatically clicked off as several people on here have said to do...but guess where that gas goes? It's not in the tank. It's overflowing into the evap cannister and will eventually damage your emissions system."

b) " BTW, in Oregon, it is illegal to top off your tank."

c) Do not do this! It is hazardous at the pump, but there is a fuel vapor purge valve. Most used to be mechanical, but today they are all electrical. Topping off your tank forces the gas inside and will eventually corrode the sensor entirely, turning the check engine light on. Also, they are a pain to change and many made into the fuel pump assembly today which are $300-$400. Trust me I used to manage a parts store and I saw this all the time. It's best to stop when the pump does. There's a tiny chance you'all get close to 1/8 tank. Vehicles today simply aren't designed that way.

So, Does this advice apply to the NIRO? Or to any car? (The majority of Fuelly respondants seem to agree with the statements, but I'm not so sure... My understanding is that the PHEV has a pressurised fuel system - not a charcoal filled evaporation chamber Although there must be a pressure relief valve for safety reasons, I can't see how filling to the brim could upset the sensor.

Whether it applies or not, it seems to me that it isn't necessary to do this to get an accurate measure of fuel economy. All that matters is that you measure the amount of fuel needed to replace that used. That means filling the tank to the same level as previously. I accept that there will be some variation in the level from pump to pump when the cut-off operates, but this will average out over a few fill-ups. Provided you only want an average measure of fuel consumption over several tanks this will provide valid results.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
stever

Post by stever »

have kia niro 4 with 16 inch wheels instead of 18inch and very impressed with mpg been around the 80mpg. did a trip to ireland recently full tank left home drove all way to holyhead then 2 hour drive other side top tak back to full strugled to put 30 euro in it.