Freezing weather

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Pippy. Polo

Post by Pippy. Polo »

Just tryed to put petrol in my niro but the outer fuel cap is frozen and won't open due to cold weather :cry:

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Whow that's a first, how cold is it and which area is that your in? pippy.polo
h2onorth
Pippy. Polo

Post by Pippy. Polo »

I'm in the east midlands and sorry didn't look how cold it was it just really baffled me as I had just pulled up at the petrol pump stopped the car and pressed button (not released it hadn't opened) got out to put petrol in and the cap wasn't open so went and pressed button again but this time I looked in my passenger wing mirror and couldn't see it wasn't opening so I gave up sat in car park for a few mins hopping it would open if I keep trying it and in the end it did so I put petrol in when it was open there was some ice around the opening and near the realise lock so will need to keep an eye on this just 💭 it was worth a mention for others to look out for
Pippy. Polo

Post by Pippy. Polo »

Pippy. Polo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 pm I'm in the east midlands and sorry didn't look how cold it was it just really baffled me as I had just pulled up at the petrol pump stopped the car and pressed button (not released it hadn't opened) got out to put petrol in and the cap wasn't open so went and pressed button again but this time I looked in my passenger wing mirror and couldn't see it wasn't opening so I gave up sat in car park for a few mins hopping it would open if I keep trying it and in the end it did so I put petrol in when it was open there was some ice around the opening and near the realise lock so will need to keep an eye on this just 💭 it was worth a mention for others to look out for
Think when I was on way home the temp was around - 2
deguy

Post by deguy »

We're having mild weather now, but it's been colder than that here and I've not had a problem so far, though I suppose if water or snow got around it and then froze it might be an issue.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

Years ago I had a Chrysler Alpine (that period between Rootes & Peugeot). One winter day the door seals froze on all four passenger doors, I had to climb in via the rear hatch which still opened. Moisture is the enemy.

I guess that screen de icer spray would have solved your predicament without causing damage.
🚙
Recycleman

Post by Recycleman »

Another fact is just inside the boot on the nearside is a popout flap where you can manually release the flap.
Pippy. Polo

Post by Pippy. Polo »

Thanks for all the info will be looking for the flap inside the boot and as for the de-icer great idea
Samir

Post by Samir »

Try spraying WD40 ( or similar ) around the seal. I used to use it on my old Chysler Avenger. Stops moisture penetration. Not used WD40 on any of my cars in the last 10 years, as the doors open without any problem in the cold.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Yep and today I had this problem - snow and ice all around the seal. Cleared it but still wouldn't open. Pressed it in a few times from outside and then it popped open OK. Temp is -2 at the moment.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic