Parking Brake Noise.

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I keep my car in my garage when it is not being used. When I release the parking brake to reverse out, I get a very loud crack noise. I have tried leaving the parking brake off and the cracking noise is not present when the car moves.
Can I ask if any of you owners have the same problem please?
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

This is nothing to worry about, the rear brake disc pads are temporarily stuck to the disc, and the crack noise you hear is it freeing up as you move off. It usually happens after the brakes have been wet, and the disc rusts a bit.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Cheers Alan, I did notice a bit of surface rust on the discs. I wasn't sure if the parking brake was inside a small drum like my previous Sorento?.

David
MY22 Kia Niro 2 - Pearl White

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise
Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

Not helped by the recent freezing weather and if you did not use the car for a day or two that would exacerbate the situation. Where does the parking brake operate by the way?
🚙
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Pretty sure the Niro doesn't have a separate parking brake drum. One of the disadvantages of handbrake or parking brake disc brakes is that they "lose grip" as the disc cools and contracts away from the pads. The opposite is true of drum brakes, as the drum contracts onto the shoes.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post