Mobile phones & Smartphones

All Kia Niro related discussions
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

Is a smartphone an absolute essential to make use of connected services.

Can a standard mobile phone that can connect to the internet and download android auto work just as well ?
Could obviously not make use of wireless charging.

niroal

Post by niroal »

If your phone can download Android Auto is it not a smartphone?
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Connected services require a 'device' that is connected to the internet and that acts as a wireless hot-spot. The car's system then connects to the 'device' via wireless (Settings).
The device could be either a smartphone (Apple or Android) or a mifi dongle.
I've no idea what a 'standard-mobile-phone-that-can-connect-to-the-internet' is. Can you identify the model you are asking about?
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Hopp

Post by Hopp »

I've got a couple of Doro 6520 clamshell mobiles.
Bringing up the menu lists Facebook Twitter and Browser.
Selecting Browser brings up the message - 'This service uses data traffic. Enabling can generate additional costs'.
Probably a stupid question anyway - I'm sure a smartphone is essential but have never had one.
If I bought one I would not want a contract - would be interested to know if it could use a PAYG sim and what it would cost for data.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

You will not be able to set up a WiFi hotspot on a Doro phone.
Either get a smartphone that can be set up as a hotspot, or buy a mifi dongle and keep your Doro phones. Suggest a trip to Carphone Warehouse or similar. I use a smartphone on Three PAYG, and the connected services seem to use hardly any data, so inexpensive.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Bliksembe

Post by Bliksembe »

I am wondering if anyone else experiences problems in getting the WiFi to detect the hotspot on the iPhone PHEV.

Once it detects it will connect automatically and operate normally for traffic data, safety camera etc.

Seems to detect other hotspots when driving along without a problems but really has a issue with showing my personal hotspot. Sometimes takes 10 minutes....

I have tried forgetting the hotspot and setting it also resetting the personal hotspot on the phone... again to no avail. Still same issue.
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I have a mifi dongle loaded with a 12 GB 12 month Three mobile SIM which cost about £30. I formerly used my Samsung A3 phone as a hot spot - but kept forgetting to take it with me when I parked the car. The dongle stays in the car and is plugged into the USB socket in the storage cubby under the arm rest to keep it charged.

It provides me with the KIA Connect Tom Tom speed camera and traffic services - both of which are excellent.

I have only used 1.2 GB in 3 months but it is still less costly over the 12 months than buying a SIM that lasts only one moth.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue