Bulb upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

As winter approaches and daylight time shortens, my commuting time is in the dark and I always feel that standard bulbs are not very bright. Has anyone upgraded their dipped beam bulbs to a brighter bulb or converted to LED bulbs? I have a Niro 3.

Teem50

Post by Teem50 »

I found a message on a US based forum for someone who'd bought some of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LASFIT-9005- ... 2749.l2649

Not sure whether they're road legal but they're unlikely to be worse than the standard halogen bulbs which are horrible... They also might upset the car's dead bulb detection logic but there are easy fixes for that.

T
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

Thanks for the link. I might be safer going for one of those halogen bulbs that claims 20% - 50% extra brightness.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
Teem50

Post by Teem50 »

duncanda wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 pm Thanks for the link. I might be safer going for one of those halogen bulbs that claims 20% - 50% extra brightness.
My experience, from a previous car, is that the claimed difference doesn't manifest itself in real life. That is, you'll be lucky to tell the difference.

I'm going to get some of the LED ones. The ones with a little fan on the back look as though they'll fit the Niro enclosure. The ones that have a long heatsink sticking out certainly won't!

T
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

Teem50, fantastic if you can let us know which ones you get and how easy they are to fit. Thanks.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have converted my headlights to LED , but you have to have the 3 sided 6000K .. 4 sided are crap . 2 sided leaves a dark line across the middle . They are a vast improvement .. As you know the headlight bulbs are HB3 or 9005 ... And the 3 sided Leds are becoming hard to get . Got mine from Ebay ... You can hear the fan though the car body when you stop with engine off , but its not bad ... And you will have to modify the bulb cover as the LED lamp is to long .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
duncanda

Post by duncanda »

Do you have a link to the items on eBay? When you say modify the cover, do you mean cut a hole in it?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've had a look on ebay for the 3 sided HB3 LEDs , there are only 4 sided LED lights left , and you Don't want them , not very bright , best have a look around the net to see if there are any . I paid £17 a pair from ebay , but that was over 12 months ago .... Yes you will have to cut a hole in the cover .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
niroal

Post by niroal »

I have upgraded Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited HB3 bulbs & to me the difference is noticeable. Best part is it is an easy plug & play. They claim 110% improvement, but while they are still available, Amazon say they have been superceeded by Nightbreaker Laser that claim 150% improvement.

I am going to get a pair of Lasers for our other car (Ford KA+ with H4 bulbs) & I will report back when done.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite