Fuel Consumption (PHEV)

All Kia Niro related discussions
Akula

Post by Akula »

Just wondering how some of the guys who have new phevs are getting on with the HEV mode consumption .

I done a 2.3 mile this morning , heaters on full heat but only on the first fan strength basically to keep the windows clear and my average mpg was 24.2 .

I know the engine is new , think ive done about 10/15 miles in HEV mode out of the 270 miles ive done.

I got about 220 miles worth of petrol when i got the car and im down to 75 so used about 140/150 just with basically putting the heaters on for 10 seconds at a time to clear the windows .

I know the engine is new and was a cold start but it still seems excessive to me .

pjm5755

Post by pjm5755 »

My PHEV now has around 2500 miles since new in just over two months. It does over 30 miles on electric before switching over to HEV mode, so I charge up at home and then at work, so its mainly without the engine being used unless I go on a long journey of around 160 mile now and again.

The car shows over 400 mpg so far and I don't have to put in much petrol at all. With the change in colder weather, the engine comes on to heat up the car, and I do use the heated seats sometimes, but the mpg is still good.

Overall I am very pleased with the car - its comfortable, goes ok and is very low running costs.
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

Akula, I know that engines loosen up with use, but your consumption seems excessive for heating only.

My PHEV has now done 3100 miles, but I've only had it for the last 1200 and I'm still trying to work out how much fuel it takes to heat the car. I rarely have passengers in the back, and like pjm5755, I find that using the heated seats (and steering wheel when I set off) is adequate to keep me comfortable. However, when it is humid, it requires an occasional blast of air to demist the windows. I just select the demist option for that. As the ICE is cold, it can only be blowing cold, but dry air but it is remarkably fast in clearing the fog. For short journeys I get an indication of several 100 miles to the gallon when using the heater that way.

It does occur to me, though, that using the ICE in short bursts so that it is never up to temperature is probably an unkind way to treat an engine , especially during the breaking-in period,

Yesterday, however, I did a 35 mile round trip (Watford to Queens Park) using the climate control (both sides as I had a passenger) on auto to heat the car to 21 deg for the entire journey. For most of the journey the ICE was only used for heat - it didn't drive the roadwheels, but I did select the HEV mode when accelerating up to speed on the M1 and for the last couple of miles when charge was insufficient to continue in EV mode. Traffic when not on the motorway was heavy, and the round trip took 90 minutes driving. The trip computer indicated 175 mpg. So, on that basis, using the aircon consumes less than 1 pint petrol per hour. That seems pretty good to me, and orders of magnitude better than you achieved on your short run. I imagine that the consumption improves once the ICE is up to temperature, as presumably, it does not have to run continuously to maintain cabin temperature.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
Akula

Post by Akula »

I have done about 22 miles overall today , and done it all in HEV mode and am up to about 50mpg from the initial 22.4 , so just assuming that the cold start used the majority of the petrol , also this was all start/stop city driving.
iwantanirophev

Post by iwantanirophev »

On low mile trips, I get 20mpg in my PHEV. This is probably because the engine runs on high to warm up fast to heat up the car. I still drive the car in EV mode. On trips longer than 30miles I get a nicer figure over 200mpg.

In 300 miles I've averaged 170mpg, with the heater on 22.5 most the time. I've used one bar of petrol in this time only. I might go a full year on one tank of fuel.
Kia Niro PHEV 68 Plate
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

One of the reasons most people get a PHEV is so that they don't create pollution on those low mile trips. Long trips you are better of with an HEV or even a diesel. I think that Kia have made a serious mistake by not including a heat pump. After all if you are only doing a handful of miles, on a trip it doesn't matter much if you use 20% or 50% of the stored charge.

I did a 115 mile trip today with the climate control operating. I did the identical trip 3 weeks ago without using it. Comparing trip computer outputs for those trips and other shorter ones when I have only used it in EV mode, I have come up with the following for trips of 35 miles or longer:

EV mode no heating - infinite mpg
EV mode climate control - 99 mpg
HEV mode no heating 66mpg
HEV mode, heating 63 mpg

Of course these are only approximate; the trip computer is not 100% accurate, and there are other variables; notably wind, temperature, driving speeds, but they suggest that its hardly worthwhile operating without the climate control to keep the cabin comfortably warm.
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
niroal

Post by niroal »

Imagine what a petrol car would do on a 2 mile journey if you've spent 10 minutes stationary to defrost.
Agreed, I do miss the electric heating as an ex Zoe owner and preheat while on charge is the best thing ever!!!!
However with an Outlander PHEV you have to spend 40k before you get electric heating & preheating too so for 10k, I'll live with burning a bit of fuel
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

niroal wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm Imagine what a petrol car would do on a 2 mile journey if you've spent 10 minutes stationary to defrost.
I Guess it will be about the same as running the petrol engine of the Niro for 10 minutes to defrost, and then using it for the 2 minute journey to keep the cabin de-iced.

If Renault could provide the heat exchanger and pre-heat functions on the Zoe I really don't understand why Kia couldn't have included them on the Niro. The omission doesn't make sense to me.
Akula

Post by Akula »

Is it something that could be fitted aftermarket ? I wouldnt mind spending a few hundred quid if there is anything out there ?
niroal

Post by niroal »

jerrytaff wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm
niroal wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:14 pm Imagine what a petrol car would do on a 2 mile journey if you've spent 10 minutes stationary to defrost.
I Guess it will be about the same as running the petrol engine of the Niro for 10 minutes to defrost, and then using it for the 2 minute journey to keep the cabin de-iced.

If Renault could provide the heat exchanger and pre-heat functions on the Zoe I really don't understand why Kia couldn't have included them on the Niro. The omission doesn't make sense to me.
It's all down to cost.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post