Loss of mpg after engine software update

All Kia Niro related discussions
Axium13

Post by Axium13 »

I have noted a drop in mpg over the last 2 weeks, gone from 62 to 53 on average.
Started after the car went in for its safety recall and the garage also did a software upgrade.
I had not thought about tyre pressures, so with the change in temperatures will check that tomorrow. However I am still very suspicious that the software upgrade has changed the engine mapping to the detriment of economy.
Has anyone else noticed this change

Ianb1550

Post by Ianb1550 »

I noticed this too, I was getting 64 mpg easily in my first edition, straight after the update, I struggle to get 54 mpg. Getting fed up with Kia’s service department, the attitude of the staff is terrible
deguy

Post by deguy »

I had put it down to the weather getting colder anda couple of long trips. Will keep an eye on it relative to last year once I return to my usual trips. The dealer did become quite defensive asi was reading what he was asking me to sign at the recall appointment, although I didn't see anything untoward. That having been said, I realise I did not get a copy of it.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic
Teem50

Post by Teem50 »

Just a thought but when we got our (6 month old) niro it was set to US gallons. Your variance is about the right size to be caused by that.

Assuming you're just reading the numbers off the dash of course.

T
mloverto

Post by mloverto »

Purchased our ex-demo Niro in mid December 2017, with 23 miles on the clock. and before it has the recall at the end of September, had got the mpg up to around 59.6. The software update reset it to zero, and I have been struggling to get it any more than 42mpg since. I went in for a service mid December, and they just shrugged and suggested it was poor mpg due to cold weather. Given that the weather has been anything but up until a minor cold snap this week, I think they're talking rubbish. :(

This is worse than when the car engine was bedding in, and after the first few months in a very cold winter (remember the beast from the East anyone?!) was easily managing around 50mpg.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post