Unable to charge and Check Hybrid System warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
niroal

Post by niroal »

jerrytaff wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:05 am Problem sorted - it took them less than 30 minutes - apparently its a common problem. The charging door was not activating the sensor properly. After a few failures, even the orange emergency release may not clear the problem. The mechanic filed some of the metal work away to enlarge the hole in the part of the door that activates the sensor, and now everything is working fine.

I was chatting to him afterwards about the 13A charger. He told me that they had queried with Kia as to why it is described as for emergency use only, and the response was that it was fine for everyday use, and the wording was as a result of some creative translation from the Korean. Apparently they have to grapple with lots of baffling mis-translations every time a new model is brought out.
The PHEV models are not that common themselves so for a garage to describe it as a common problem already makes me think it is not going to be an if, more like a when it effects them all. Perhaps a updated design is needed.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite

Topicalcat

Post by Topicalcat »

I gave up tryng to get a PHEV and was lucky to get one of the very first Hyundai Kona EV’s. I am staying on this forum because it is so much better with more informative content than the Kona forum! So many of the issues a read about on this forum are applicable to my Kona

I agree the electric charging flap is flimsy, it s just plastic. Seems to be fairly identical to the photos I have seen of the front end of the upcoming Niro EV. The positioning on the front is perfect, as said it makes it easy when pulling into a charging bay.

Any one considering a Niro EV? If so I will try to answer any questions based on my Kona experenece (nearly 2,000 miles covered so far).
🚙
niroal

Post by niroal »

Topicalcat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:20 pm I gave up tryng to get a PHEV and was lucky to get one of the very first Hyundai Kona EV’s. I am staying on this forum because it is so much better with more informative content than the Kona forum! So many of the issues a read about on this forum are applicable to my Kona

I agree the electric charging flap is flimsy, it s just plastic. Seems to be fairly identical to the photos I have seen of the front end of the upcoming Niro EV. The positioning on the front is perfect, as said it makes it easy when pulling into a charging bay.

Any one considering a Niro EV? If so I will try to answer any questions based on my Kona experenece (nearly 2,000 miles covered so far).
Wow, you have got some use out of that early on!!!
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
janesdsg

Post by janesdsg »

I've had this same "non-charging" problem, too, and the charging door rarely opens when pressed, I need to use my fingernails to get it to open.
Jane
Kia Niro PHEV, gravity blue
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all I take on your views however, I cannot accept that competent drivers cannot reverse in a space, partly because it is better to drive out forwards than reverse out into potential dangers with restricted views.
For me side or side rear charging port is better since it is less likely to be damaged in any minor scrape, unlike the front or rear of the vehicle h2onorth
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

I'm less concerned with the position of the port than its construction. Mine keeps bouncing back open when I close it. Jane can't get hers to open very easily, and every time I put mine on charge it's a lottery as to whether I'm going to need to open the bonnet to pull on the orange release cable. Others seem to have the same issue. Mine has already had one unofficial modification courtesy of a Kia mechanic with a file. But if it is this flaky when new, what's it going to be like in a few years' time? So, I agree with Niroal - I think Kia need to sort this problem. Preferably with a recall for a design mod. But how do we exert the pressure to get something done?
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

I had the problem again this morning and finally got around to making a short "how to fix it" video that I've just uploaded to YouTube here:

taylok

Post by taylok »

Did not have the Check Hybrid System Warning, but car would not charge. Watched the video and now it does
davethetech

Post by davethetech »

would you want a risk of a spark? near a fuel? The manufacturer doesn't either! as for the charging flap not opening there is now a software update which should help with the opening logic preventing such issues, however dirt, contaminants and frozen temperatures can still cause issues. hence the manual release.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post