Charging PHEV

All Kia Niro related discussions
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

I have had my NIRO PHEV since October 30 and I have never charged it away from the house, now this does not bother me, but I began to think when I go on holiday later this year I may feel that I should be looking into it.

Now that I have been looking at this, there seems to be all sorts of cards ,RFID, APPs and parking fees etc, are there any where you just fill up and pay, like you do with petrol.

Will I just stick to petrol while I am away, or is there some form of uniformity that I am not seeing, and are any of these brands easier to use than others?
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue

pjm5755

Post by pjm5755 »

My suggestion is load Pod-Point app on your phone and then register yourself. The App list pod point charging locations on a map, the site detail's and all the ones I have used have been free - often even free parking too, Just be aware that it might appear to just plug-in, but unless you confirm your connection on that charge point using the app, it will only give 15 minutes of charge.
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

Thanks for that information, I have signed up, do I just use the phone or the registered card to pay?
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

I have the same quandry, but I don't think that Podpoint is the solution for me. It only lists 2 of the 15 plus chargepoints I know about in my home town, and none on Skye where I will be going for my holiday this year.

Zapmap lists 4 on Skye that are compatible with the Niro; 3 operated by ChargePlace Scotland / Charge Your Car, one by Zeronet. If I understand correctly, CPC/CYC require registration, and an upfront payment of £20 for a year's membership, and even then, you have to pay to use their chargers. Its just not going to be worth it. Zeronet only requires a credit card at point of use, but every location can set its own tariff, which is not easy to discover.

So, it looks like I am unlikely to be using anything other than unleaded to power my PHEV for the majority of my holiday.
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
pjm5755

Post by pjm5755 »

I have no card for pod-point nor are there any costs. I just go on the app and it shows if the charge points are being used, then just go to an unoccupied point, plug in the cable and go to that particular point on your phone app to confirm the electric charging. It may sound complicated, but its very easy.

The charge points aren't everywhere, but they will increase in numbers I'm sure. My only reservations on using these public charge points (at no cost and usually no parking fee) is that I have to walk around the shops for a couple of hours as the car charges!
jbrancon

Post by jbrancon »

Hello,

I have just attempted to charge my Niro PHEV at a Tesla Destination charge point.

I plugged into the "Electric Vehicles" charge point.

The plugged in indicator turned on, but the charge never started.

Could someone please explain why ?

Many thanks.
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

Is your car switched on to "Charge now " or "charge to schedule".
The charge rate for Tesla charge at the Supercharger stations is much higher than the charge rate for NIRO (3.3kw)
I gather that only Tesla's can charge at Tesla charger
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

According to Tesla's website, chargers with white signs are open to all electric cars. Red signs are for Teslas only.

I've never seen one so can't comment from experience.

Here's the link:

https://teslaownersgroup.co.uk/kb/tesla ... -explained
jbrancon

Post by jbrancon »

Yes, I plugged into the white-signed charger, but that still didn't work.
jbrancon

Post by jbrancon »

And also: my car was switched to "charge now".

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post