Best and Worst Thing About Your Niro

All Kia Niro related discussions
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

swap it for a PHEV ;)
2018 PHEV 3 in Gravity Blue :D
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel

varun112358

Post by varun112358 »

jerrytaff wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 am swap it for a PHEV ;)
Anything apart from that :lol:
Akula

Post by Akula »

I dont really mind too much about the heating/engine running etc , but why didnt they just put a heated front windscreen in the car ?? That wouldve satisfied me
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

why didn't they just put a heated front windscreen in the car?
My understanding is that Ford patented their system for heating the front screen and that Volvo, and BMW (possibly others? ) pay royalties to Ford, but I can understand it if some companies like Kia baulk at that.

There are alternatives though. I believe that some Audi's have what is in effect an electric fan heater for the screen, and Toyota hybrids include an electric heater for the cabin as well. I believe that some of them can also use reverse cycle air conditioning to provide heat.
Previous DS (formerly Citroen) DS5 Prestige BlueHDi S/S Auto 2.0, Jaguar X type 2.0 S Diesel
TheMKD

Post by TheMKD »

The heating thing is probably the thing which is most annoying. However, this is made acceptable by the ICE switching off when cabin temp is reached.
My only wish is that it was The eNiro.
shaunchipchase

Post by shaunchipchase »

hi,iv had a niro 2 hev for 3 weeks ,and i"m really impressed ....apart from the tom tom,,it sends me loads of weird and wonderfull ways...as with yourselves i regularly travel on roads that have been in existence for 2 + years and dont show up on maps,also sat nav instructions tends to be seconds behind where i actually am....fuel cons with 1300 miles on varies between 63 on a 120 motorway drive to 60-80 local..but plenty of hills
niroal

Post by niroal »

shaunchipchase wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:23 pm hi,iv had a niro 2 hev for 3 weeks ,and i"m really impressed ....apart from the tom tom,,it sends me loads of weird and wonderfull ways...as with yourselves i regularly travel on roads that have been in existence for 2 + years and dont show up on maps,also sat nav instructions tends to be seconds behind where i actually am....fuel cons with 1300 miles on varies between 63 on a 120 motorway drive to 60-80 local..but plenty of hills
Agreed, this is the main reason why I use Waze on my iPhone through Carplay rather than built in. Updates are very swift.
Niro 3 PHEV Graphite
jerrytaff

Post by jerrytaff »

.apart from the tom tom,,it sends me loads of weird and wonderfull ways
Agreed. It isn't even anything to do with out-of-date maps. So for example, most people going from Chorleywood to Watford would take the A404 and A412, if they don't take the M25, and A411. TomTom insists that I should turn off the A404 onto Loudwater Lane, (which is an unlit, narrow single track road) out to Croxley Green. That route is slower, more complicated, more dangerous, and no shorter than staying on the A roads, so I cannot understand what algorithm could possibly come up with that as the best option....unless it has a built in preference for the scenic option.
Stepshort

Post by Stepshort »

Stepshort wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am
Re spare wheels, I had a bad experience in France a couple of years ago where a tyre was ripped. No way a can of squirt would have worked, but the Merc had a spacesaver spare which enabled us to complete that day's travel, and then spend the next day finding a new, high speed tyre. Four dealers !! So when I bought the Kia I orderd a spare wheel, it took 7 weeks from Korea, but it is full size, complete with jack and wheel spanner, and doesn't affect the boot space at all.
Doesnt affect boot space ?

So where do you store it ? The roof ??

It goes under the floor in place of a large plastic moulding which held the other, useless tyre blow up thing
dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Not being able to change the digital speed indicator from MPH to Kms. This can be done on other Kia models but not on the Niro for some reason. As I take my Niro abroad have this option would be useful rather than trying to work out the speed on the analogue circular speedo. A simple software upgade would do this, so come on Kia.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post