PHEV Charging Cables

All Kia Niro related discussions
Hollytreeable

Post by Hollytreeable »

I have a Niro PHEV due to be delivered soon and have arranged for a Pod Point charging point to be installed in a couple of weeks. My concern is about the length of charging cables. I think the tethered cable option with Pod Point provides a 4.8m long cable, which in my case may not be long enough. So if I go for their ‘Universal’ option I will need to use a separate cable. My question is - what are the standard cables that will come with the Niro when delivered? I think they supply two cables - is that correct? Maybe I can use one of these with the Pod Point, but how long is the cable? I’m hoping it’s a bit more than 4.8m.
My fall-back situation is to purchase a longer Type 2 cable, but they are rather pricey, it seems!
Any comments on this will be much appreciated.

ron in new mexico

Post by ron in new mexico »

Yes in the UK you will likely be provided with two cables, one for a high speed charge, high amperage, and one for a low speed charge, low amperage. The low speed will requite about seven hours to fully charge, and the high speed about two and a half.
In the states you will only be provided the low speed cable.
You can make your own cables with a little mechanical know how, but if you misconnect wires, you hazard frying the electricals of the car.
Amazon has a pretty good selection of cables but they are pricy. On amazon a search of the questions and answers and reviews will usually provide information as to if the cables sold will fit the Niro .A tesla per example will have different hook ups.
NiroMax

Post by NiroMax »

Hi,
I've had my 67 plate Niro 3 PHEV for 18 months now. The car came with two charging cables:
1. A heavy duty cable, 5m in length, fitted with the type 2 plugs (sometimes described as Mendes plugs), for use with a charger.
I had a home charger fitted which takes less than 2.5 hours to fully recharge. The charger is connected to a 16 amp breaker in the
consumer box and is the only device connected to that breaker.
2. The "Trickle" charger which fits into a standard 13 amp socket, with a type 2 plug on the other end, is 4.5 metres in length.
This cable draws 10 amps from the supply, so if using with an extension lead ensure the extension lead can carry the load.
This cable takes 4.5 hours to fully recharge the hybrid battery.
The dash will show a fully charged battery having a range of 36 miles. In practice, driving the car carefully I can usually get a "good" 30+ miles range
from the battery. Consumption when in HEV mode returns on average 75 mpg. Equiv. mpg in EV mode is approx. 180 mpg, depending on how much electricity the cost of a gallon of petrol (4.5 litres) will buy. (I currently pay 12p/kWh), I charge the battery twice a week.

I used to fuel my last car with a min. of £20 of diesel a week, I now fuel the Niro with £20 of petrol and £8.70 worth of electricity a month.
Hollytreeable

Post by Hollytreeable »

Thanks very much for your comments - all very helpful and interesting. I think the 5 metre Type 2 cable will be just long enough.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post