Hello

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

We have just purchased a 2017 First edition. Personally I would have preferred a Niro 2 but the prospect of heated seats was too big a temptation for the other half. I have read that the Niro 2 returns better MPG and has a better ride due to it's 16" wheels. Is there any substance to this?

djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I drove a first edition on the test drive but opted for a 2 owing to lower company car tax. Miss my heated seats that I had in the Skoda Yeti before...

I didn’t find the ride on the test drive terrible - it was quite a while between then and taking delivery of my car but I don’t recall it being a huge amount different. Likewise, I’d hazard a guess that the real world fuel economy isn’t so different between the two models. My “2” is two years old, has done 40k miles and is delivering about 58-60 mpg for my 11 mile country roads drive to work, or about 46-50 mpg if hooned at 80mph on continental motorways.

Be interested to hear how your fuel economy compares.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I'm getting similar figures to djbobbins on 18" wheels. Does the "2" have the eco 16" wheels? If so, the guess about real world economy is probably correct.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Yes, the 2017 “2” has the 16” wheels. I know a lot of the fuel economy impact will be down to driving style, use of air con etc. I have had over the 72mpg published average from my car but only on specific occasions (long trips on the motorway with large sections of 50mph average speed cameras).
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

Thanks for your prompt replies. I am still on the first tank of fuel so definitely early days yet. The reading is 57 mpg which included two shopping trips at 30mph in Darlington and a return trip to Knaresborough (80 miles) on the A1 at 70 mph so perhaps I am in the right ball park after all.
Starting to enjoy the OTT features such as smart Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist so I had better start realaxing and enjoying the experience.
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

Could I ask djbobbins how many miles did you get out of your 16" tyres. My car is two years old and had two front tyres at 16k miles.( 18" wheels)
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

My front 18" Michelins got down to 3mm at 23,000 miles, then I changed them. I'm fastidious about the pressures being correct, and would describe my driving style as 'leisurely'.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

My 16” tyres were changed at 2.5mm tread or thereabouts (it’s a Lex Autolease car and they won’t change them before that).

I’d done about 29k miles at the time, albeit a good few thousand of that (4K, at least) on two European road trips with long stints of motorway driving at constant speed, which I surmise would be easier on the tyres than the acceleration and braking of day to day use.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

Also, I think the standard fit tyres are types / brands between the 16 and 18 inch wheels, no? If so that would have to be a factor in the tyre life as well.
kennyg

Post by kennyg »

Thanks everyone. I used to have a Fiat Croma with 225 45 18 and was lucky to get 20k hence I would have preferred the 16" but 23k versus 29k does not seem too bad. Not sure how my previous owner got 16k but that was over 24 months so perhaps it was lots of short journeys with lots of manoeuvring