Engine running in EV mode

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
MattyJWard

Post by MattyJWard »

Hello fellow Niroites! I have recently purchased a ‘17 Niro PHEV. Love most things about the car but critically am puzzled by the fact that on short trips and in full battery charge the engine seems to be running in EV mode. I understand that the engine may come on from time to time at idling rate to assist heating/AC etc but even in a frugal modern petrol car you’d expect the engine to cut out at a stop when at lights or a crossing. I want to be one of the silent, zero emission types when surrounded by bikes or children crossing! Am I doing something wrong or should I contact the dealer??
Kia Niro PHEV Nov ‘17 Gravity Blue

tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

Congratulations and welcome to the world of PHEV!

That does seem strange, unless you do have the heating on when at the traffic lights. I use the heated seats and steering wheel instead when by myself in the car to make sure I don't use petrol. It never turns the engine on.
MattyJWard

Post by MattyJWard »

That does seem to be the case... guess it’s a learning curve and on these chilly morning it’s a case of weighing up heat vs efficiency!
Thanks for the tip.
Kia Niro PHEV Nov ‘17 Gravity Blue
tonybkent

Post by tonybkent »

No worries. It's a bit of an obsession of mine not to use any fuel for as long as I can, especially as most of my driving is within a 36 mile return journey. :-)

If you ever get a problem with the charger not working, here's a useful video I made to solve it.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Perhaps another thing to fret about is that petrol "goes off" over a long period of time. If you never use fuel at all, then at worst you might end up with a tank of fuel that gives poor performance, in terms of power and mpg. Google it, there's a number of articles about it.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I have a similar issue (fuel degradation) but in a very different application - I sporadically use a petrol chainsaw but if left with pump petrol in the tank over the winter, the different components of the fuel can combine with small quantities of water to form gel / sludge.

If I was driving a PHEV and keeping the same fuel in it for months at a time, I’d be worried!
radar2018

Post by radar2018 »

That is a valid point, petrol does go off, in a car how long would it take to make a significant difference?

The longest I have gone without using petrol would be about 12 weeks, I did not think about degradation , but the fact that I was transporting a significant weight about needlessly
KIA NIRO PHEV OCT 2018 Gravity Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post