PHEV - Electric Consumption

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
Kiamigo

Post by Kiamigo »

Hi All
I have been trying to find some sort of Miles-per-KWh reading for my 22 PHEV 3 when in EV mode. I can sort of work it out by taking the mileage between charges and the amount of electric used but my charger is not accurate at recording the charge put in. I have to read the electric meter before and after charging and allow for other usage. I can also get a figure from the %age charge indicator on the car but it is never quite clear what it is 100% of etc.
So far (less than 1000 EV miles) I seem to be getting about 3.75mpkwh. Is this typical? With the rising cost of electricity I will soon be better off just using the HEV setting.
Please advise any tips or where I am missing something.
Kiamigo

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

If you charge from a standard home 13 amp socket you can buy a plu-in meter that measures the consumption.

I don't have a Plug in Niro but have one of these to measure domestic appliance usage. https://tinyurl.com/5cwma2uu
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Kiamigo

Post by Kiamigo »

Thanks AlanHo. That device looks interesting but is not what I'm after - I have a properly installed HyperVolt charger.
What I am really after is a dashboard display showing miles travelled per KwH when in purely EV mode. It might also help to make sense of the unrealistically high mpg figures which show when I do a journey which is part EV and part HEV where it only seems to use the petrol consumed to come up with an mpg.
Kiamigo
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Don't forget that a kWh consumed by the car is not the same as a kWh supplied from your house. Charging efficiency losses can range from 10% in mild weather to 40% in the very cold. So, 10kWh from your house would give you around 8kWh battery charge on average. And then there are further losses as the battery releases its energy......AlanHo has got the right idea.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post