Fuel consumption

All Kia Niro related discussions
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think the computer works on how you have been driving the car .... I did 28 miles and got 75.8 MPG . It all depends if your going up hill or down hill .... So a return trip going the same way , you can do 55MPG , and on return 70MPG

IMG_20170430_174009.jpg

Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

The computer uses a map or graph between duty cycle and fuel pressure which tells it how much fuel the injector will spray at any given cycle and pressure. Using this, it continually estimates how much fuel it has sprayed since the mpg calculator was last reset. It then takes this amount and divides it into the miles traveled since the trip was reset to give you the miles per gallon.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue
Deleted User 440

Post by Deleted User 440 »

I have my Niro since beginning of March. My observation now after ~7000 km is that the car now switches more easily into EV mode and stays longer in it as in the beginning. I'm now managing to drive at 4.1liters/100 km (68,9 MPG) without problems. That might be caused by the engines and battery being run in or simply by the warmer weather. But what i enjoy most about this car is it's complete silence while waiting at traffic lights and it's very low driving noise.
gimball

Post by gimball »

Agreed, love the silence and also the AC that runs on EV!
I would go mad inching in the 4 hour queue this weekend (blazing sun and 30+ degrees) if it wasn't for this car.
geffren67

Post by geffren67 »

Now that the warm weather is here (!), my mpg has increased from my last post. This is my best so far for one journey.

MPG.jpg

That was for a journey from east to west coast, country roads and an average temperature of 16. I calculated the efficiency of the tank on fill up, that was 71.5 mpg. Also my daily commute of 40 miles, again country roads, has also increased with the temperature, that's now an average of 70.

Overall I am very impressed with the millage and the Niro 2.
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

geffren67 wrote:Now that the warm weather is here (!), my mpg has increased from my last post. This is my best so far for one journey.
MPG.jpg
That was for a journey from east to west coast, country roads and an average temperature of 16. I calculated the efficiency of the tank on fill up, that was 71.5 mpg. Also my daily commute of 40 miles, again country roads, has also increased with the temperature, that's now an average of 70.

Overall I am very impressed with the millage and the Niro 2.
That's pretty impressive!

Can anyone get into the 80's?
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Manufacturers figures are always way overrated, got my Niro First Edition for 2.5 weeks now, and average of 56-57 mpg or 4.9-5.0 ltr/100km.
Drive 120 mile four days a week with combination of a bit of city (10 miles) a fair bit of country roads (30 miles) and a long stretch of motorway (80 miles) but that includes some 20 miles of traffic jams, so a nice combination. So 56-57 mpg is not bad at all
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020
gimball

Post by gimball »

djpfaff, for the first 1000ish Km I was getting even worse numbers than you - now it's pretty much stable on 4.5 highway, 3.9 city.
Think it's related to the engine run-in period, but can't be sure.

I'm sure I'm driving it the same way on same stretches of road though, and even with the AC on it still spends a 1.5-2 litres less than before (was getting 6.5 at the beginning).
Nocharge

Post by Nocharge »

I've only done 1200 miles in my Niro 2. Very pleased with mpg. My commute is 6 miles A/B roads and then 120 miles motorway. I'm averaging 58mpg on the cars display (best was 62mpg). Not t bad for a petrol auto!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I am more than happy with getting around 65 to 70 mpg after 2000 miles. At least it is in thevrealms of being near the manufacturer's claimed mileage. I have Citroen dispels before and they were nowhere near the quoted figures.