Unable to charge and Check Hybrid System warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
tonybkent

Unable to charge and Check Hybrid System warning

Post by tonybkent » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:09 pm

I've only had my PHEV Niro for less than six weeks and until this morning was really happy with it. However, it's now completely unable to charge and I have a warning saying "Check Hybrid system" on the dashboard every time I turn the key to start up.

I charged it successfully at work yesterday, drove home and had 18 miles left on the battery. I drove it a mile this morning, then two half mile trips with no issue. I plugged in at home and heard the usual "click" from my charging point, but then about 15-20 seconds later there was a further "click" as the charging stopped.

I checked the RCD in the house (dedicated to the charger off a sub-board) and the one on the charging unit itself, and called the installer. No issue with that, and I confirmed it by driving to a nearby free charging point that I knew worked. Same issue.

It's not set to only charge at specific times of the day (I've not used that feature yet).

I drove it around for a while and confirmed that the hybrid, EV and sport modes were all working as expected by watching the energy flow on the dashboard. Sport mode took the battery from 42% to 48%, at which point I switch back to electric.

I've got it booked in with a dealer (two week wait...) for investigation.

Has anyone else had this issue? (Photo in the URL below).

[media]https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhZNvVUAnqGOxnG69FKfY6wQIEUw[/media]

tonybkent

Re: Unable to charge and Check Hybrid System warning

Post by tonybkent » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Following some advice in another forum, I pulled the Emergency Cable Release a few times. It's located under the bonnet at the front right - a small orange "button". I tried yesterday, but no luck. I pulled it a few more times today - quickly and firmly, and it "clicked". PHEV is now charging again! Woohoo! :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”